Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Mp5k Semi auto firing

:

Doctor's Corner

Old February 4th, 2006, 09:09   #1
Syphen

Mp5k Semi auto firing

Hey, Im sure this question has been asked before but I cannot find any info on it at all.

I got a TM Mp5k (ver 3 mechbox.. duh). Its a great little gun, bone stock never been opened before. Anyways, on full auto the gun never fails and works awesome.. semi auto is another story. If I shoot a couple shots in semi it will always lock up. Sometimes the trigger can still be pulled, other times it cannot, but the gun will not fire or move. I have to change to full auto and shoot then go back to semi. I know i've heard of this problem with guns if people rapidly fire on semi... but its happening even on NON rapid fire, its just a freak random thing that occurs VERY often, every 5-10 shots.

I was wondering if people have any idea what causes this and any possible solutions?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Sponsored by Boland Howe: Cause Scheisse Happens
www.bolandhowe.com
Syphen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2006, 09:14   #2
Greylocks

Usually, gear timing or selector plate adjustment.
Greylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2006, 09:55   #3
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
Something is out of whack. Greylocks, he said it's never been opened, so I'm not sure if it would be either of those, unless it did it to itself. Brings to mind the same problem with the team's G&P SPR. Recently it's been acting the same way on semi once in a while, locks up and won't fire, set it to full for a burst, then back to semi and all is good til next time. Really not sure, but am looking forward to figuring/learning what is wrong.
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 22:33   #4
Syphen

So no for sure ideas yet?

www.bolandhowe.com
Old February 6th, 2006, 23:09   #5
mcguyver

I remember when I got my MP5K PDW a few years ago. It was set for safe and my sister was playing around with it and pulled on the trigger really hard, and it shifted the selector cam slightly (out of the groove that joins it to the selector plate) and it did the same thing. The only recourse I had was to tear the lower off and reset it back to it's proper position. It took some time as I didn't know anything about AEG's then, and I've had to do it again one other time after lending it out to a fellow at a game.

I think basically what happens is the selector plate never properly gets set to the semi position, thereby not applying the proper spring tension on the semi-auto release bar and giving you problems in trigger pulling. Full auto would just move that bar out of the loop, so to speak, and is easy to achieve even if the selector is not precisely in position. Semi-auto needs to be fairly precise as there now need to be interlocking done between the selector plate, the semi-auto bar and the sector gear.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 23:49   #6
beach_boy

Send a message via MSN to beach_boy
What I've heard about this is, its quite a reoccuring problem with TM MP5's... my PDW does the same thing, and so does my SD6, I usually just play through it, so to make you feel any better, your not alone with this problem, thanks Mcguyver, I know now what to fix, or atleast try to..
Old February 7th, 2006, 06:41   #7
Greylocks

I know he has not opened it, but I've seen the problem happen before (with time). It may be a matter of a slight misalignment at the factory, or that somehow it shifted.

Or it can simply be lack of familiarity with the quirks of trigger control.

I bet a slight timing problem is the cause. He should find an experienced local person to look at it.
Old February 7th, 2006, 12:13   #8
Syphen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greylocks
I know he has not opened it, but I've seen the problem happen before (with time). It may be a matter of a slight misalignment at the factory, or that somehow it shifted.

Or it can simply be lack of familiarity with the quirks of trigger control.

I bet a slight timing problem is the cause. He should find an experienced local person to look at it.

or.. how about you tell me how to fix it and I will fix it. k thanks :tup:

You talk like I am a freaking moron and new. I've just never worked on an AEG before, just lots of gbb's so far, I have no problem cracking open a gun as long as I know what to look for and fix.

www.bolandhowe.com
Old February 7th, 2006, 13:13   #9
Point_Man

Send a message via MSN to Point_Man
I've been having the same issues working on a friends PDW. I'll assemble just the lower portion to ensure that it cycles both in semi and auto and it works fine. Then putting the entire gun back together it only fires semi. Sometimes it'll fire auto when the selector is 3/4 of the way to the auto setting. Definetly frustrating trying to figure out how to get it just right. In relation to my SD5...I've never had issues with the trigger nor the selector plate and switch. Odd for sure. Oh well...more tinkering ensues...
Point_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 16:39   #10
Greylocks

You did not ask for an exact solution; gear timing is described in the forums, so if you are not worried just reset that (look at the pictures in the guides).

First, just check if the selector plate moves as it should. It may be that simple.
Then check the selector plate contacts. So far that is all external to the mechbox.

Inside the mechbox, just follow the pictorial guides and make sure your shimming is ideal. That should fix the problem.

Sometimes this happens more often with a gun that has been worked on before and reassembled incorrectly. It's a bit tricky to align the selector button and the plate.
Old February 7th, 2006, 17:12   #11
NuttyHunter

Send a message via MSN to NuttyHunter Send a message via Yahoo to NuttyHunter
Point_Man is wrong. His SD5 has had some firing difficulties. I'm the one who plays with it though so he probably forgot that on the 28th of Jan I went to fire it in Semi and the trigger would not move. Moved it to full-nil. put it on safe. Took out Mag/ Sometimes the selector switch doesn't catch in Semi so I flipped it back to full then down into semi (safe to semi is when it acts up) and it worked withut the mag. I put the mag in and it didnt work. Flipped to full, it worked, then back to semi and it finally worked, but after 4 shots a bb finally lopped out, and on the 5th it was working fine. So... Point_Man's SD5 works 99% of the time. It just hates me.

I should mention that this was mid-game.

M

- You wish to buy your boyfriend some airsoft stuff and/or video games for christmas
- You enjoy playing airsoft
- You enjoy playing video games
- You like to drink beer
- You seem to have a reasonably healthy obsession with sex

Do you happen to have like, a sister, who is like you in all these ways and is single, and lives in Toronto
?
~ Lady *Lucky* *Lass* Sparks~
NuttyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner