Airsoft Canada
https://www.replicaairguns.ca/airsoft

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Whats a good type of silicon to use as lube and for when using propane?

:

Doctor's Corner

Old November 21st, 2005, 18:08   #1
italianboy23

Whats a good type of silicon to use as lube and for when using propane?

i currently have pure silicon shock oil and the kinwald weight is 30, is that too heavy/thick for lubing my GBB and for mixing with when using propane!

help is very much appreciated

thanks.
italianboy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 18:33   #2
rileysault

You should use the lightest weight possible for mixing with propane, i use 1.5 weight. As far as lubing the rest of the GBB you really only need to lube were there is contact between slide/frame. I hear that superlube is good for that.
rileysault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 18:34   #3
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
Might want to buy some 10 weight silly oil, that is more viscous and a better general weight. Buy a container of the 5 weight (might be lighter) from MadMax for $10 shipped for use with propane. And a tube of white lithium grease ($5 at Canadian Tire) helps in some areas as well.
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 21:26   #4
italianboy23

thanx guys!!! really appreciate it!
italianboy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 23:10   #5
CalvinTat

Kinda a thread jack but its related, what kinda silicone lube is used for maintenance of your AEG and Mags?

If practice makes perfect, yet nobody is perfect... Why practice?
CalvinTat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2005, 23:27   #6
mcguyver

i manufacture my own silicone grease for cylinders. basically, you get a tube of dow corning #111 silicone grease. it costs about 30 bucks and you can get it at industrial supply houses like northern metallic or aklands. there is enough in this tube to do probably 500 aegs. then you get some 10 weight silicone oil. put some #111 in a container (not much, maybe twice the amount of toothpaste you'd put on a toothbrush sort of thing) then thin it down with the silicone oil until it's the consistancy of syrup (takes a bit of oil). this makes enough to do about 6 or seven aegs. use it in the cylinder, piston guides, tappet guide and on the spring guide. i just picked up a new silicone gear grease from gc electronics. they call it type z5 grease and the package says it's good for dielectric duties as well as gear grease and general lubrication. i've only tried it in 2 aegs so far but looks promising. for gear grease you can pick up garage door opener grease from crappy tire. works great, has wide temp range (-40 to +250 or something) and stays well adhered to gears and bushings. just don't over-use it as too much in a gearbox and it will find it's way into the cylinder and cause gumming up of the piston head o-ring. put it only on the bushings and the flat gear to box joints like on the bevel and spur gear. sounds goofy, but it works well and keeps the gears quiet and happy.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2005, 08:49   #7
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
I recall the white lithium grease I bought from CT, I found it in the garage door opener section. It works good, and makes a useful tool as well. How? Know the little round plate that goes between the motor plate and the motor itself on V2 mechboxes? Use the grease as a "glue" to hold it in the motor plate when you install it. Holds the plate in place instead of falling out and running across the floor.
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner