Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

TM M14 Upgrading

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old August 16th, 2007, 23:15   #1
Maxmillian

TM M14 Upgrading

I just got a Marui M14, used, and the guy said he'd dropped in a MS110 spring, nothing else. He hadn't used it much, as his job as a bartender pretty much keeps him from playing any games (the reason he sold it). Here's my question: Would an otherwise stock Marui M14 stand up to the abuses of a tough spring? I can't picture the monkey metal gears or the synthetic gearbox standing much of a chance. Should I just throw the stock spring in until I can afford gearbox upgrades? Oh, buy the way, I got the M14, a hi-cap, two 2400 mAhs, 6000 .20s, a chest rig that can best be described as "bitchin'" (complete with unused camelbak), and a set of digistalker camo for $800. Woo!
Maxmillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 23:17   #2
Hades

Send a message via MSN to Hades
I have an upgraded spring and metal bushing in mine and have run a few thousand rounds through it thus far with absolutly no issues.

Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 00:10   #3
Maxmillian

Sounds good. And I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum (I meant to go to the "Upgrades" section). A little help from the moderator superheroes?
Old August 17th, 2007, 00:50   #4
scooby
Hey Max don't even attempt to put stock spring back in gun yourself. That spring will wear out nylon bushings and put gears in harms way!
Send the gun to a GD and have it upgraded properly.
Old August 17th, 2007, 01:13   #5
Wesman

Register on the Op-For forums if you haven't already and contact Kamfer. He was my gun doc for my M14. There's a thread I made regarding the upgrades I was planning on putting into my gun, all of which were done by Kamfer. It shoots hard, but I've only played one game with it since the upgrade and am slightly concerned about the durability of the internals.

Good luck with your upgrades.
Old August 17th, 2007, 01:37   #6
BIGMEDCIN

I have two M-14s, one with a Guarder 110 spring and one with PDI 150%, the 110 spring is on stock gears shooting 390fps and the 150% is on Guarder gears shooting 375 fps, both have several thousand round with no issues.

Stock TM gears are ok with 110 springs but should have metal bushings replacing the stock nylon, problem with the nylon with a heaver spring, is gear misalignment from the pressure of the spring load against the gears, leading to gear teeth stripping, metal bushing keep everything straighter.
BIGMEDCIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 20:12   #7
Maxmillian

Okay, well with the help of an arniesairsoft disassembly guide, I have taken apart the gun. On the advice of a gun doc I know, I de-greased and re-greased the gears, and discovered that they did, after all, have metal bushings (thanks to the previous owner). I threw in a stock spring, put it all back together, and it works fine now. The reasons for the stock spring being

A) The field I usually play on isn't big enough to warrant more that 330 fps, and I don't want to put unnessessary stress on the gears, and
B) My field has a 330 fps limit anyways, a rule I overlooked.

Anywho, I kept the Ms110 spring, and now I have essentially a stock M14 with metal bushings.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion