Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Dry firing a GBB

:

Doctor's Corner

Old August 12th, 2005, 15:54   #1
Zyre

Dry firing a GBB

Is there any harm being done dry firing a GBB? Since there's no piston slamming forwards without any BB resistance slowing it down I figure it would be ok. Any thoughts?
Zyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2005, 15:57   #2
Mantelope
Scotty aka harleyb

Send a message via AIM to Mantelope Send a message via MSN to Mantelope
This topic has been discussed in the past. Some gas guns won't cycle properly without a BB chambered. Due to the different valve systems, a lack of a BB may send more gas to the blowback chamber, causing excess wear. I know on certain KSC Glock models, dry firing without a magazine will quickly break a certain part of the hammer mechanism.
Old August 12th, 2005, 16:14   #3
Zyre

ah yes, forgive me, I didnt see it the first time I searched. Thanks for the reply anyway. I think I'll just not dry fire it then...
Old August 15th, 2005, 09:49   #4
ILL9MIL

The problem dry firing with a KSC Glock without a mag is BS. The only way to break the hammer is to release the hammer while there is NO SLIDE on the frame. When there is no slide the hammer does not hit the hammer impact block, and allows the hammer to come crashing down on the hammer pin. the pin is what will break, but that ONLY occurs without a slide on (because the impact block is on the slide)
ILL9MIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2005, 12:02   #5
Zyre

Any thoughts about a KJ M9 then?
Old August 15th, 2005, 12:25   #6
Blackthorne
A Total Bastard

Send a message via Skype™ to Blackthorne
Yep

That's right. The Glocks have a really delicate pin at the back that is damaged on dry fire, but ONLY when the slide is off. WE covered it in the GBB clinic yesterday..

:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILL9MIL
The problem dry firing with a KSC Glock without a mag is BS. The only way to break the hammer is to release the hammer while there is NO SLIDE on the frame. When there is no slide the hammer does not hit the hammer impact block, and allows the hammer to come crashing down on the hammer pin. the pin is what will break, but that ONLY occurs without a slide on (because the impact block is on the slide)
Old February 24th, 2006, 16:59   #7
lateforthesky

So I can dry fire my KSC G19 to my hearts content as long as the slides on and I'm not going to break something or cause excessive wear on any parts? I guess any sort of motion is eventually goign to stress the hammer more and more and in time it will break but it's not any sort of major acute damage?
lateforthesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 17:31   #8
Kid

I believe there was an internal part that breaks on the KSC Glocks if you dry fire them too much, I know what the part is, but I don't know how to describe it... haha, get me a exploded view and I'll point it out.
Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2006, 19:57   #9
Greylocks

Any type of firearm, and their airsoft versions, should never be dry-fired.
Why? Because in normal circumstances, there is a reaction to the hammer or trigger pull that compensates any impact or release of a hammer/pin/spring.

The metal parts can become brittle, and snap. I've seen this happen with even real tempered steel gun parts. So in general it's a bad idea.
Greylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner