Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

TM P90 TR Cocking Handle rattle

:

Doctor's Corner

Old December 16th, 2005, 19:41   #1
|2enegade

TM P90 TR Cocking Handle rattle

Does anyone experience this problem too:
the cocking handle, basically the entire shaft that it slides on, rattles slightly when the gun is tilted side to side (or when the slide shaft is pressed slightly inward). This problem has occured since day one, right out of the box. I would have posted sooner, but I decided to ignore it for the longest time.
The effects of this problem can be seen (rather, heard) by locating the insception of the cocking shaft on either side of the gun (this is the part of the shaft just before it disappears into the rest of the receiver, see first picture below) and pushing it side-to-side. From the picture, simply depress on the yellow marked spot on the cocking handle, alternating sides (best way is to place thumb and index over the marked spot on the both sides of the gun, and alternate depression between thumb and index).
I removed the upper receiver to see what was wrong, and it appears that the cocking handle frame is slightly larger than the track that it slides on (located inside the upper receiver, see other picture). From the picture (this is a pic of a GB-tech frame, but its almost the same as a TM), you can see the cocking handle frame is that large silver area, (on the TM, the frame is black, but is of the same structure) and it slides along the track underneath it. But, especially towards the rear, the frame is slightly wider than this track and thus sits loosely on it, allowing it to move side-to-side on the track and causing rattling to be heard when the gun is moved quickly, tilted, or pressed in the spot mentioned.
So, is this a common problem with all p90's? and is there any way to fix it?

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tm-p90_pic.JPG (86.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg charge_track.JPG (6.4 KB, 18 views)

"And the Lord said unto John, 'Come forth and receive eternal life.' But John came fifth and won a toaster."
|2enegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2005, 19:52   #2
Greykin

Yup, common problem with P90's. Some people like to remove the cocking handle totally. Or you can squeeze something in that little crack and don't cock the gun. I've just learned to deal with it lol.
Old December 16th, 2005, 19:55   #3
gandar

Send a message via MSN to gandar
I would think a couple wraps of black electrical tape around the shaft would help...

Alternatively, I could just light you on fire. - Me
gandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2005, 20:56   #4
|2enegade

Thanks for the info guys!
I wonder how TM managed a flaw in the dimensions of something so simplistic

I guess I'll just continue to ignore it. or maybe I could work it to my advantage some how...
"cool gun, but what's that noise?"
"..oh, that, that's just the Revised Tactical Audio Warning Device, or ReTAWD for short, used to scare off enemies."
"how does it work?"
"well... you ever heard of a rattle snake?..."

"And the Lord said unto John, 'Come forth and receive eternal life.' But John came fifth and won a toaster."
|2enegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2005, 21:07   #5
Valcrow

Send a message via MSN to Valcrow
Yeah, any kind of rattle/shakyness in my guns bugs the hell out of me.

I think there was a thread on this before, but if you put some tape along the threads of the cocking handle where it meets the receiver you can eliminate the rattle and noise and still be able to cock it if you want.

The GB tech was a far different story. the spring it comes with is really twangy and if you shake the p90, you can hear the cocking handle spring bounce on the barrel and the body, in addition to the regular rattle like the tm metal handle. I had to wrap a piece of paper along the barrel as like a spring spacer and put a few elastics on each end of the spring so it doesn't twang. some book tape along the edges and rails of the sliding part of the body and now it's quiet and still cockable. Can't have the solidness of a metal body and have it rattle all over the place.

just take a few minutes to see how it works and you'll know where to line it with tape to cut down on the tolerance/rattle.

G'lucks.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner