Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

G&G PDW99 (P90) - Aftermarket Optics Help

:

Upgrades & Modifications

Old August 29th, 2017, 00:04   #1
The Phoenix Reborn

G&G PDW99 (P90) - Aftermarket Optics Help

Hello Everyone,

Got a situation that's got me quite flustered.

I want to know if there's a way to replace the stock green-dot on the G&G PDW99 P90 with an aftermarket optic without needing to swap out the existing upper-receiver for an aftermarket one. Additionally, what parts from other brand P90s are compatible with the G&G PDW99 if any?

Any assistance on the below would be great as I'm having trouble finding parts / options on how to do this.

I recently purchased a PDW99 and I absolutely LOVE the build quality of this thing. The green-dot sight that it comes with however, left much to be desired. I purchased a 552 mock-holographic sight in hopes of replacing that green-dot and one method presented to me by an airsoft store was to replace the stock upper-receiver of the G&G with another receiver that has rails on top (In this case it was a receiver from "JG")

But much to my great disappointment, the G&G inner-barrel didn't even properly line up on the JG receiver at all due to mismatched dimensions of the internal parts and I didn't want to force the barrel in or risk bending / breaking any crucial parts as it shouldn't take this much effort just to swap a receiver. The sales person at the airsoft store assured me this would work and even recommended me the JG part, but apparently this isn't the case. I even double-checked to make sure it wasn't an assembly error on my part and I was able to reassemble the G&G receiver using the same process effortlessly.

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!
The Phoenix Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2017, 00:48   #2
Danke

Why don't you go back to that guy and ask him to show you how it goes together?
Old August 30th, 2017, 00:05   #3
The Phoenix Reborn

Yup, I plan on doing just that and will post details hopefully soon.

Just looking for any other options in the mean time. If there's a rail system I can use in place of the green-dot without even having to replace the G&G P90's receiver, that'd be even better. But we'll see.
Old August 30th, 2017, 01:56   #4
Danke

About all you could do is put a small red dot on the side rail and that would just look dumb. The P90 is a bit of a unique case with the swap-able upper receiver to use the original FN type optic or the tri-rail setup to use an aftermarket optic.

There are aftermarket options for the real P90 re this but the cost won't be reasonable.

Last edited by Danke; August 30th, 2017 at 02:01..
Danke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2017, 00:33   #5
Zfurlong

just remove the optic thats on it, and get a king arms optic rail. (you will need to remove some material from the rail for it to sit properly as the screws do not line up properly).
thats what i did on mine
Old September 8th, 2017, 00:26   #6
The Phoenix Reborn

Past couple weeks have been quite busy but finally got around to having this looked at. Essentially the culprit here is the button that acts as the locking mechanism for releasing the upper-receiver on the G&G P90. This button, when placed into the JG receiver, doesn't properly fit and protrudes a couple of mm which is enough to make the inner barrel insert at an angle, making the fit incompatible.

The store checked this out with other P90s and concluded that the parts for the G&G P90 receiver just simply differs from the rest and will not properly take the JG receiver as a result. They said this may also be the case for the hop-up unit as well, but we never got around to testing that. Seems like whoever recommended me the JG made a mistake, but fortunately I was able to get a refund.

Thanks for the advice Zfurlong, will definitely look into that as an alternative!
Old September 9th, 2017, 04:04   #7
Zfurlong

here are the only pics i currently have on hand of mine and what it looks like
Old September 9th, 2017, 11:40   #8
The Phoenix Reborn

Out of curiosity, did you end up adding a butt-stock extension to your P90 in that second pic as well?
Old September 9th, 2017, 16:02   #9
Zfurlong

i did. this is the one i have: https://www.evike.com/products/25989/ gives a lot more space for a battery as well as little to no noticable difference in length while shouldered
Old September 15th, 2017, 22:26   #10
The Phoenix Reborn

I may consider that as well. I'm finding my 9.6v Nunchuck to be a much tighter fit than I'd like.

On another note though, I do have some good news! After some research, I was finally able to find an aftermarket part that works for my PDW99. It's a metal rail-mount base by First Factory / Laylax. This thing just BARELY fit the PDW99 upper-receiver, but works right out of the box. No physical alternations were required, but I did have to fiddle with the tightness of the screws a bit as I've found that when screwed in too snugly, the magazine has issues fitting lol... But hey, I'm just glad that I can finally fit my mock-holographic onto this baby =) Check it out!

ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Upgrades & Modifications