Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Preupgraded TM M4A1 battery question

:

Doctor's Corner

Old July 23rd, 2005, 21:43   #1
Swoo

Preupgraded TM M4A1 battery question

Hey guys, I purchased my tm m4 a week ago, and it is "pre-upgraded" to fit to canadian laws. Im pretty sure its just a spring upgrade. My question is should I get a mini battery for my m4? I asked a local retailer and he said it was best to go with a bigger battery, but that would mean modification with my hand guards. I want to avoid tampering with my m4. He also recommends that i use the Nimh batteries that have a reputation of exploding. So basically im just wondering if the standard mini batteries are ok for my m4.

Swoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2005, 23:04   #2
Mantelope
Scotty aka harleyb

Send a message via AIM to Mantelope Send a message via MSN to Mantelope
Downgrade back to stock. The "legal" BC upgrade puts the gun over 400FPS, which is almost impossible to crank on a mini battery without torque-up gears, and if you go with a bigger battery in order to turn it over, something in your gun is going to break very quickly. NiMH batteries don't explode any more than NiCad batteries, and NiMH is better for the environment. Lithium-ion batteries, however, are much more explosive than NiCad or NiMH.
Old July 23rd, 2005, 23:20   #3
Swoo

Thanks harley. I really don't want to downgrade because I love power, but seeing as how I probably have to, what is the best way? Should I bring my gun into my local dealer? And would it even run on a mini battery?

Old July 24th, 2005, 00:01   #4
Tankdude

Try to buy a stock spring if possible. cost about 10$ on average in the forums. Stock spring + mini battery = love.

Crack open the mech box and switch them out, it is not too hard. Look up some guides on the net for doing it.

OR

Take it to a game and I'm sure somebody could do it for you. Take about 15 mins.
Tankdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2005, 00:05   #5
Swoo

jeeeze i hope its easy. Hope nothing comes flying out. Is there anything that can come flying out?
Old July 24th, 2005, 00:14   #6
Tankdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoo
jeeeze i hope its easy. Hope nothing comes flying out. Is there anything that can come flying out?

Hell YES!!! :hammer:

After all the screws are taken out hold down the cylinder and slowly lift the top half. The spring will start to push out so insert a screw driver into the spring guild to hold it down and presto! No kamakazi spring flying out at you.

That is it in a nut shell. The trigger may pop out and the anti reverse latch may pop out because they are both on springs, but they are easy to get back in. There are some nice guilds that can help you.
If you don't what these parts are off by hand,t you'll learn very quickly once you take it apart.

I found it was fun taking apart my first mechbox. But you get used to it real fast.
Tankdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2005, 00:16   #7

Yes, something will definately fly out if you haven't done it before. You beter off taking it to someone who knows how to do it and watch that person do it.
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2005, 00:17   #8
Swoo

thanks for the quick responses guys. i dunno if i can handle that. mayb i shud just get someone to do it for me. :neutral:
Old July 24th, 2005, 00:57   #9
BC_K
Banned

Swoo, PM Kampfer on here or on the Op-For forum. He is in my mind, and many others, THE BEST in the lowermainland for working on people's guns.

Top notch work from him. Keep's me coming back.
BC_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2005, 01:37   #10
Swoo

thanks bc_k, but i think im just gonna go to a retailer. i have to get a new spring neways :|
Old July 24th, 2005, 01:49   #11
BC_K
Banned

Take a guess where the local retailer's are going to send your gun. :wink:
BC_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2005, 02:02   #12
Swoo

well, wudnt they do it in the shop tho?
Old July 24th, 2005, 09:59   #13
Greylocks

No, they will send the gun to the 'doctor', who happens to be the same guy. That's what they are trying to say.

Follow the advice, save yourself a headache. (PS fill your profile and get age-verified if it's not already done).
Greylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner