Airsoft Canada
https://blackblitzairsoft.myshopify.com/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Hi-Capa 5.1 Outerbarrel compensator (adapter?)

:

Doctor's Corner

Old May 7th, 2010, 11:17   #1
Affliction
a.k.a. Fury a.k.a. VipaMave

Hi-Capa 5.1 Outerbarrel compensator (adapter?)

After my outerbarrel flew off my gun -- I figured it was time to replace the entire thing. I ended up buying the Shooters Design steel outer barrel (comp-ready).

Looks like this:

The threaded portion (end of the barrel) slides on and off -- with a little resistance (there is an o-ring that slows it down). There was nothing to screw this onto or secure firmly (as far as I know).

How am I supposed to secure this piece to the rest of the outer barrel to prevent it from falling / flying off?

Will take pictures if I'm being unclear.

Last edited by Affliction; May 7th, 2010 at 11:23..
Affliction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 11:42   #2
Shirley
A-56 aka Mr.Hitman

Use loctite. Spread it around inside and throw it on the chamber. It will secure it in place.

CANADIAN AIRSOFT PRACTICAL SHOOTING (CAPS)
CAPS DIRECTOR # 0047
Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 12:10   #3
StrikeFreedom

I am also looking to put on a compensator but on a 4.3. I want to stay with 4.3 length plus the compensator, however most if not all of the threaded outer barrel on the market are for 5.1. Can I use a threaded 5.1 outer barrel (like above), pull and secure the front end of the barrel to match the 4.3 slide length?

Another alternative is to attach the compensator to the inner barrel via an adapter like PDI. Where can I get that nowadays?
StrikeFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 12:38   #4
Affliction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hitman View Post
Use loctite. Spread it around inside and throw it on the chamber. It will secure it in place.
Thanks, I was considering this already. I wasn't sure whether or not I should Loctite it on seeing as it wasn't already permanently attached by the manufacturer.
Old May 7th, 2010, 15:01   #5
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Affliction View Post
The threaded portion (end of the barrel) slides on and off -- with a little resistance (there is an o-ring that slows it down). There was nothing to screw this onto or secure firmly (as far as I know).

How am I supposed to secure this piece to the rest of the outer barrel to prevent it from falling / flying off?
That sleeve is suppose to be free and butts up against the back of the compensator. This is how it secures.

Do NOT use Loctite to secure it, or you're going to have a real fun time attaching/removing a compensator.
ILLusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 15:02   #6
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrikeFreedom View Post
I am also looking to put on a compensator but on a 4.3. I want to stay with 4.3 length plus the compensator, however most if not all of the threaded outer barrel on the market are for 5.1. Can I use a threaded 5.1 outer barrel (like above), pull and secure the front end of the barrel to match the 4.3 slide length?
You can't put 5.1" bull barrels in to a slide meant for a 4.3" bull barrel. If you do, your accuracy will be crap at best, and you'll experience increased wear to your hop up chamber and slide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrikeFreedom View Post
Another alternative is to attach the compensator to the inner barrel via an adapter like PDI. Where can I get that nowadays?
I haven't seen them in stock at most distributors in a while now. You may have to purchase this directly from X-Fire.
Old May 7th, 2010, 16:33   #7
Affliction

I didn't know what a compensator was at the time of purchase -- so you can see why I've been confused.

I may buy a compensator -- though I'm still unsure how it will keep the sleeve on the outer barrel.

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/accessori...5-1-black.html

It looks like it screws on just like any regular 14mm- silencer. Even if I screwed something on, the entire sleeve would still just slide off with the silencer.

Last edited by Affliction; May 7th, 2010 at 16:54..
Old May 7th, 2010, 17:52   #8
Shirley
A-56 aka Mr.Hitman

LOL Illusion, he means loctiting the barrel onto the chamber...

Reason is the slide cycling forward hits the comp and making the whole outer barrel slip off.

CANADIAN AIRSOFT PRACTICAL SHOOTING (CAPS)
CAPS DIRECTOR # 0047
Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2010, 13:07   #9
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Affliction View Post
I didn't know what a compensator was at the time of purchase -- so you can see why I've been confused.

I may buy a compensator -- though I'm still unsure how it will keep the sleeve on the outer barrel.

http://shop.ehobbyasia.com/accessori...5-1-black.html

It looks like it screws on just like any regular 14mm- silencer. Even if I screwed something on, the entire sleeve would still just slide off with the silencer.
That 5KU compensator pretty much looks like a clone of the Shooters Design compensator which was designed to specifically fit that outer barrel set:

http://www.wgcshop.com/wgc2008/main/...em=SD-PT-S900B

Just a warning if you do decide to go with the 5KU product, you may experience issues with dimensioning errors, and tolerance stacking, which would result in compatibility problems as well as durability issues down the line as many other users have experienced with their products. I haven't used this specific product myself, but from what I've experienced from some of their other products as well as other user reviews, they're not exactly top notch stuff. You get what you pay for.

It does NOT attach like a suppressor, as suppressors have internal threading whereas this compensator has EXTERNAL threads.

The compensator attaches by:

1. Slide the outer barrel sleeve over the main barrel assembly.
2. Attach the compensator to the main barrel assembly, lining up the notches and locking them in place.
3. Screw the outer barrel sleeve on to the compensator threads.

The overall assembly is like a camming mechanism that holds everything together. Essentially, the main barrel assembly's tip is sandwiched between the compensator and the barrel sleeve.

If you're not prepared to go for a compensated setup, you will need to buy a completely different outer barrel assembly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hitman View Post
LOL Illusion, he means loctiting the barrel onto the chamber...

Reason is the slide cycling forward hits the comp and making the whole outer barrel slip off.
I doubt that's what he means. The Shooters Design comp-ready barrels are not like standard Shooters Design barrels where the outer barrel assembly is separate from the chamber. Instead, the chamber and the barrel are one piece, while the tapered barrel portion acts a sleeve to hold the compensator to the barrel.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner