Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

AK fires but no BBs

:

Doctor's Corner

Old November 5th, 2009, 14:46   #1
Huge
formerly Huge94

AK fires but no BBs

Hi, so my AK fires, battery is charged but no BBs come out 9 times out of 10. It's definately not the mags though because when I pull it out, 2 or 3 BBs fall so I guess they made the travel from the mag to the gun...
Huge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 14:47   #2
Amos

sounds like you've got yourself a broken tappet plate.
G3SD6
Amos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 14:57   #3
Huge
formerly Huge94

hell, I never even gamed the damn thing. Is there any way I can know for sure it's the tappet plate? Like if I open it will it show it's broken or is it unnoticeable?
Old November 5th, 2009, 15:06   #4
coach
aka coachster

does the nozzle move when you fire it? take the mag out and look through the feed tube when you pull the trigger.
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 15:11   #5
Huge
formerly Huge94

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachster View Post
does the nozzle move when you fire it? take the mag out and look through the feed tube when you pull the trigger.
yes it does move
Old November 5th, 2009, 15:23   #6
m102404
Tys

* make sure the barrel/hopup is not blocked or jammed with a bb

1. aim muzzle in safe direction
2. take out mag and turn gun over
3. manually put 3-4 bbs into the hopup feed tube
4. put your finger over the last bb (so there's no risk that they can fly back out...it can happen if there's a jam)
5. fire gun on semi

- do the bbs feed down and get shot out on their own?
- you might need to apply a little bit of pressure (simulating the mag's spring tension)...you can use any kind of stick/rod that's small enough to keep pressure on the top bb. Not a lot of pressure.

If that works...there's a feeding problem from the mag to the hopup.
- mag might not be supplying enough spring force
- hopup feed tube might not be moving the bb catch of the mag back enough to allow bbs to feed
- hopup tube lip might be dented/chipped/messed up and hanging up bbs as they go up (a lot of FALs do this...cause of the way the mags are inserted)
- the bbs might be stacking badly in the mag and jamming up

If it doesn't feed...
- is it because the nozzle isn't going back far enough to let a BB drop in?
- is it because the first bb to feed is getting stuck in the chamber (in front of the nozzle)?

If that doesn't work...there's a feeding problem between the nozzle and the hopup body.
- harder to fix...first try taking the body/front end apart and putting it back together.
- try swapping out nozzle, then tappet, etc...

Best of luck,

Tys
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2009, 15:32   #7
Huge
formerly Huge94

Thanks a lot for your help. It did work, all BBs were shot. The thing is when I shoot upside down, no problems...Would it be the mags?

EDIT : the mag seems a bit loose indeed. When I hold it firmly it feeds correctly...

Last edited by Huge; November 5th, 2009 at 15:44..
Old November 5th, 2009, 15:41   #8
m102404
Tys

Feeding problem with mag....your gun is good, don't f*ck with it.

So...testing mag:
1. Insert mag...shoot (right side up) semi until it dry fires. Gently press mag up higher/tighter to gun. If you hear a click/whiz of bbs feeding...the you need to adjust either the fit of the mag to the gun or the bb catch of the mag.

2. Fill mag up with 100 bbs. Retract bb catch (some have a little tab you can pull, others you have to poke with a small screwdriver). The bbs should fly/spray out (do this while the mag is upright). They shouldn't dribble out. If they do...you're mag's spring is shot.

If you load 10 bbs...they won't spray/spring out as fast...but they should still "pop" out of the mag. If they dribble out of barely come out...toss the mag out.

If just a couple spray out, but not all 100...(basically the mag should empty itself)...carefully look into the feed hole of the mag (shop glasses here!!!). Can you see if the bbs are jammed up and wedged together? If they are...turn the mag upside down and give it a whack....does it spray now? Or hang up again. Either way...there might be some crud in the mag (disassembled and clean it out) or the channels might be misshapen.

Try another brand/type of BB. A smooth BB surface helps.

Some guys would say put some silicone oil into the mag....and I suppose you've got nothing to lose at this point....but personally I would chuck the mag.
Old November 5th, 2009, 15:53   #9
Huge
formerly Huge94

They sprayed out. So what now should be the problem?

I'm pretty sure its the fit of the mag since when I hold the mag up a little bit it feeds nicely...what could I do for that?
Old November 5th, 2009, 16:05   #10
m102404
Tys

Awesome...this should be easy now.

(there are threads on this already...something like "King Arms Mags not feeding" or something like that...somebody...Fox111 maybe might have posted a MS paint picture as well)

What's happening (still a guess) is that the feed tube of the hopup unit isn't pushing the bb catch of the mag back far enough when the mag is just hanging there. When you first put it in, it gets pushed back enough and bbs feed up. Then when you shoot the first shot or two those work...then since the catch is hanging up the bbs there's no force to push more bbs up (that's why you tested upside down).

The bb catch is the little wedge shaped thing that you can see when you fill the mag up with bbs. It's poking out to hold them in. The tip of the feed tube pushes on it and because it's a ramp it slides the catch back.

What you need to do is to file/cut the very tip of the bb catch back a bit. Leave enough so it still holds bbs in...but enough so it feeds when it's in the gun. Hard to say exactly how much...maybe 0.5-1mm? File/cut and test, file/cut and test...don't take off too much.

You can use a sharp exacto knife or a small needle file. Takes about 3 seconds.

Best of luck!

Tys
Old November 5th, 2009, 16:09   #11
m102404
Tys

Here it is.

http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=71646
Old November 5th, 2009, 16:23   #12
Huge
formerly Huge94

I'm really not sure this is the case coz the BB retainer really dont look that long, it seems like I couldn't cut at all without cutting too much...
Old November 5th, 2009, 16:31   #13
m102404
Tys

Ok, then it gets a little more complicated.

1. Try a different brand of magazine (ideally borrow some off a buddy). The back tab of AK mags can differ quite a bit in thickness...thicker ones will hold the mag up more into the hopup feed tube.

2. Some makes/brands of AK's have really loose tolerances...you're might be just off a bit. The mag catch is hard to adjust. You might be able to adjust the front lip catch part of the receiver to raise the mag just a bit.

If #1 doesn't work...you're best of taking it to a local gun-doc. Tell them what's happening and what you've done so far, it'll save them time.

I'd try modding the bb catch first, then a different mag. And if that didn't work I'd smash it with a hammer (won't fix it but you'll feel better).

Best of luck,

Tys
Old November 5th, 2009, 16:49   #14
Huge
formerly Huge94

I'll go and buy another mag. It's a shame since I got these 2 in a trade...
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner