Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

KSC g19 dry-firing problem

:

Doctor's Corner

Old June 23rd, 2005, 11:12   #1
cweed

KSC g19 dry-firing problem

Hello all,

I read that it is not good to dry fire a KSC g19 without the magazine loaded. I just received my gun and do not have any gas yet so i played with it by dry firing it without the magazine inserted, obviously i stopped when i read that it is bad to do so.... Can anyone tell me whether i could have damaged my new toy? is there a way to tell before i get my gas shipped? Also, how difficult is it to obtain and replace that part #78 which according to what i read is what breaks.... is that the only part that breaks as a result of dry-firing?

Anyway, thanks all!
cweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2005, 11:29   #2
randas

Part 78 eh?
Where did you read that, because Part 78 on my KSC G17 just broke...
But no worries illusion can get them, I just ordered one and it only cost me $8.55
Old June 23rd, 2005, 11:51   #3
cweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by randas
Part 78 eh?
Where did you read that, because Part 78 on my KSC G17 just broke...
But no worries illusion can get them, I just ordered one and it only cost me $8.55
Well, i was reading reviews of the G19 and one mentioned a warning about dry firing with the mag out of the gun.... funny thing is that i was doing just that when i read the review.... then i did a search on here that mentioned part #78 breaking as a result.... is that how your broke?
Old June 23rd, 2005, 13:05   #4
randas

Im not intireley sure if thats how it broke, but its a possibility... I have dry fired before
Old June 23rd, 2005, 13:19   #5
MadMax
Delierious Designer of Dastardly Detonations

Location: in the dark recesses of some metal chip filled machine shop
I think it was me who originated the warning about dryfiring KSC Glocks.

Part #78 is unduly stressed when dryfiring without a slide and mag. The slide contains a hinged part which catches the hammer on the recoil cycle and recocks it. When the slide is removed, this part isn't present to stop the hammer so it comes crashing down on the thin flat on the top loop on #78.

If a mag is loaded, the mag valve bottoms out which prevents the firing pin (#78) from being pushed out far enough that the hammer can come down on the top of the loop.

Do not dryfire your Glock with mag and slide removed. The top of the loop on #78 cannot durably stop the hammer by itself.

MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2005, 13:27   #6
cweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax

Part #78 is unduly stressed when dryfiring without a slide and mag. The slide contains a hinged part which catches the hammer on the recoil cycle and recocks it. When the slide is removed, this part isn't present to stop the hammer so it comes crashing down on the thin flat on the top loop on #78.

If a mag is loaded, the mag valve bottoms out which prevents the firing pin (#78) from being pushed out far enough that the hammer can come down on the top of the loop.

Do not dryfire your Glock with mag and slide removed. The top of the loop on #78 cannot durably stop the hammer by itself.
Yes it was your posts that I read :-)

Thank you for the warning, is it only part #78 that can get damaged by dry firing the g19 or are there other parts that are at risk as well? just curious.... Does it only get damaged with the slide AND the mag out or just just the mag also? Also, any easy test to see whether i had already damaged it? :-(
Old June 23rd, 2005, 14:15   #7
randas

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweed
Also, any easy test to see whether i had already damaged it? :-(
Take of the slide and shake the bottom half of the gun upside down, if a little piece of metal falls out you busted it :-|
Old June 23rd, 2005, 14:17   #8
randas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax

Shit, ok thats how I broke it
randas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2005, 18:46   #9
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
Food for thought! I decompress my hammer spring on the odd occasion by letting it fall without a mag. Guess I better pay more attention to my two sweeties (KSC G19 w/laser sight and KSC G19 w/metal slide)!
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2005, 18:53   #10
Nuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweed
Hello all,

I read that it is not good to dry fire a KSC g19 without the magazine loaded. I just received my gun and do not have any gas yet so i played with it by dry firing it without the magazine inserted, obviously i stopped when i read that it is bad to do so.... Can anyone tell me whether i could have damaged my new toy? is there a way to tell before i get my gas shipped? Also, how difficult is it to obtain and replace that part #78 which according to what i read is what breaks.... is that the only part that breaks as a result of dry-firing?

Anyway, thanks all!

lmao!

why dont you just say you were dry firing your gun and broke part #78
your story is alittle lame :cheers:
"Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For a wounded man shall say to his assailant,'If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven. Such is the rule of honor."
Nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2005, 22:39   #11
Nocturnal
oO?

hmm i wonder if thers a reinforced replacement? i have one glock that i bought recently came with that peice broken. unless i broke it somehow test firing it once with propane without a bb (*tear* dryfire).

err .. tho the peice in my personal glock looks tougher than that of the one taht had a greyish looking one. any comments? did they have a new version come out with reinforced parts and didnt tell anyone?

and no im not willing to dry fire my glock to test if it is reinforced =P

"SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM"
Nocturnal is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner