Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

GBBR Maintinence

:

Doctor's Corner

Old November 18th, 2009, 15:54   #1
andrew321

GBBR Maintinence

So i broke down and bought a KJW M4 GBBR the other day. I have been promising myself i would buy one of these as soon as they were "availible" in Canada.

Of course first thing i do is tear it down, and learn and inspect. I'm proficient with aegs, and have been the team "gun doc" (unless XT has to take over..)

My question here is, can someone outline proper maintinence and care for a GBBR? How does it differ.. Mostly, what kind and weight of oils should go where on this.

My appologies if this has been covered, but i cannot find a clear answer.

Thanks in advance.
andrew321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 16:03   #2
m102404
Tys

It's basically a GBB Pistol with bigger moving parts. Same rules apply.

Lubricate moving/rubbing/contact parts. Light weight oils that won't gum up with dust/dirt....won't attack rubber.

Oil in Propane helps since propane seems to "dry out" seals. Oil in gas/mags to help mag seals. Little gas left in mags helps them keep their shape.

Too much oil in gas is thought to be not so good...keeps everything nicely lubed...but gets on the hopup rubber too.

With the KJW (which is somewhat more like the WA than it is to the WE I believe)...I'm not sure if there's specific parts/pieces in the bolt that need to be oiled but I'd guess that it's the same general theme as with a GBB pistol. With a WE GBBR, it's plainly evident what needs to be lubed and what doesn't.

Mags are just like a GBB mag...check valves periodically, pull them if you need to clean them.

TIGHTEN everything!!! Loc-tite every screw, consider gluing every knob/button, etc...

They shake/jiggle enough to kill cheap RDS and to vibrate off forward assist buttons, loosen mounts, and mine actually broke the loc-tite bond and shook the sling stud mount out of my RAS (one of those inserts for a push-button sling loop). It used to shake my RAS loose after a dozen mags until I built in a rubber spacer to deaden the vibrations.

Last edited by m102404; November 18th, 2009 at 16:05..
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2009, 16:36   #3
andrew321

Thanks, thats helpful. Thats basically what i assumed.

Now the big question.. oil? im assuming the standard "between 20 and 50wt, hobby shop pure silicone"?

*Side note...does anyone use any of the standard silicones? i.e the big, 4$ cans from wal mart or hardware shops?*
Old November 18th, 2009, 19:53   #4
m102404
Tys

It depends on the carrier mostly...if it contains petroleum distillates don't use it.

BTW...I've used super lube (which is not a 'vaseline' thick as other greases) on pivots, and rubbing parts that aren't directly part of the gas system. It doesn't seem to migrate around/off the parts...and does what it was put there for...so far so good.

Any lightweight rubber safe oil will work. MadMax and a bunch of us were chatting one night and I got the sense that he went with lightweight silicone oil because:
1. It doesn't eat seals
2. It's not prone to attracting gobs of dust and building up into sludge (that will jam your gun)
3. It kind of evaporates without leaving much of a film behind...so it's kind of impossible for less than delicate users to over oil their stuff and so they wouldn't have to tear it all down to clean it out.

Best of luck
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2009, 21:32   #5
andrew321

Lubes.

Okay, i have a question here...

I hate all this lubricant crap. its worse then swine flu for paranoia and BS.

I have the expensive "airsoft lube"...but i also have some cheaper "extreme rage paintball marker oil" says 100% pure synthetic, resists freezing...anyone have 2 cents on using it as mag oil?

Also, is there any 100% safe non-"airsoft" lubes for my gbbr?

Thank you in advance!
Old November 19th, 2009, 21:42   #6
HaZarD SFD

Wal-Mart has Silicone lube from Brass Eagle.. Its great and awesome to keep seals running 100%.. its in a red bottle with white cap. Thicker than normal airsoft Silicone but not by much.
Old November 20th, 2009, 14:43   #7
andrew321

yeah, Liquid fire lubricant. that is good stuff.

If it says 100% synthetic, and can be used on paintball guns...i'm assuming that its airsoft gun safe... anyone want to challenge that?
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner