Airsoft Canada
https://www.replicaairguns.ca/airsoft

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

So I took appart the Aftermath Kraken....

:

Doctor's Corner

Old November 7th, 2009, 13:09   #1
Conflicts6

So I took appart the Aftermath Kraken....

I finally got the guts to take my won gun apart. Took me a friday night to do it but it was worth it. Found out that after about 5-7k shots, absolutely NO internal wear on the gears, piston head ext. I also found this horid sludgy crap in the gearbox. Took all that crap out then i said to myself.....what can't a little dab of crosman pelgun oil do..... Then, I take a look at the shim job and the bushings. Pretty good shim job and it came stock with METAL BUSHINGS. Great, I thought to myself. So, I reassembled it, got it to work and its runnung very smooth. Smoother that befor. The Kraken Gearbox is a CM02B V3. Its very nice, I would have to say. The shell was very study, as were the gears. I have a video up on youtube of me disassembling it. I know, You think im too younge(almost 15) to be into airsoft. Well, im obsessed with it. (prepares to get hit with the bombs.....)
Conflicts6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2009, 13:14   #2
kalnaren

I hope you didn't use pellet gun oil in the mechbox. The only thing you should use on the gears is lithium grease, not oil.

Quote:
"Someone in a Prius tried to race me at a stop sign the other day. I couldn't believe it. I had him for the first 100 feet or so but I can only walk so fast."
kalnaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2009, 13:16   #3
Drake
E-01

Quote:
.what can't a little dab of crosman pelgun oil do.
I hoped you used more than just pelgun oil (which is mostly silicone oil). The stuff is good on gas gun seals but totally insufficient to lubricate mechanical gears etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalnaren View Post
I hope you didn't use pellet gun oil in the mechbox. The only thing you should use on the gears is lithium grease, not oil.
Indeed, or teflon grease.
Old November 7th, 2009, 13:19   #4
Disco_Dante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conflicts6 View Post
I know, You think im too younge(almost 15) to be into airsoft. Well, im obsessed with it. (prepares to get hit with the bombs.....)
Why would you mention your age? 99% of the people on this forum really don't give a rats ass, and the other percent are just going to be dicks about it.

Not for glory, nor riches, nor honours, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.
Disco_Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2009, 13:25   #5
coach
aka coachster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco_Dante View Post
Why would you mention your age? 99% of the people on this forum really don't give a rats ass, and the other percent are just going to be dicks about it.
just shows his age lol

anyway that 1% would assume he's underage because he's not verified. hahaha
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2009, 13:39   #6
Forever_kaos

Congrats.
Getting it apart is really the easy part, have you got it back together properly and working?
Forever_kaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2009, 13:43   #7
L473ncy

Take it apart again and put some proper grease (White/Lithium grease, Teflon grease).

I'm not sure about Graphite powder however but I know that it can be used as a lubricant. If anyone knows anything more about using graphite powder as a lubricant and whether or not it's better or worse than Lithium grease that would be great.
Old November 7th, 2009, 13:59   #8
Disco_Dante

Quote:
Originally Posted by L473ncy View Post

I'm not sure about Graphite powder however but I know that it can be used as a lubricant. If anyone knows anything more about using graphite powder as a lubricant and whether or not it's better or worse than Lithium grease that would be great.
That's what Illusion was advertising as being used in some of his custom GBBs. I'm not sure if that works in AEG gearboxes though. Shoot him a PM if you're interested.

Not for glory, nor riches, nor honours, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.
Disco_Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2009, 14:29   #9
Conflicts6

Yeah, it works great. I did save some of that sludgy crap and kept it. Works great. And my youtube is Conflicts6 also. I have quite a few reviews and I have a vid of me taking the mechbox apppart. I just said my age because in the video you would find out....so might as well give it to you here. Anyone elts take theirs appart?
Old November 7th, 2009, 19:31   #10
notec

Post a link to your vid if you dont mind. Id like to see the guts of one of these guns.
I just have a cheap Panther Arms M16 right now.......bought it to familiarize myself with the electric guns. They are quite impressive.

And BTW im 39 and dont have a problem with a 15 year old teaching me ;-)
notec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2009, 19:44   #11
Conflicts6

Haha, okay I will. Thats good, taking advice from all ages. Here is the link

YouTube- Aftermath Kraken Dissasembly + Gearbox Dissasembly
Old November 7th, 2009, 19:48   #12
Crunchmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by notec View Post
And BTW im 39 and dont have a problem with a 15 year old teaching me ;-)
However, I think you'd agree it's probably best to visit a world-reknown site like www.mechbox.com and watch videos by a seasoned professional on mechbox / AEG repair than someone (15 years old or otherwise) fidgeting with the trial and error with an AEG for the first time.
Old November 7th, 2009, 19:52   #13
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
GunSlick Annhydrous Graphite Lube, the cat's meow for GBB use, etc. Is a bit thin for gears, but should be fine. And a small tube for less than $3............ perfect!
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2009, 19:55   #14
Conflicts6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchmeister View Post
However, I think you'd agree it's probably best to visit a world-reknown site like www.mechbox.com and watch videos by a seasoned professional on mechbox / AEG repair than someone (15 years old or otherwise) fidgeting with the trial and error with an AEG for the first time.
Haha, I did use mechbox.com to help me. When I took it appart I was confused with the springs, the smaller ones in the gearbox. Then i found a video at mechbox.com and the springs were for the anti reversal latch and tappet plate.
Old November 7th, 2009, 19:55   #15
notec

Hehe, your a brave little man. Thanks for taking the time to make your video and sharing. I may just ask for your help when I get the nerve to take mine apart.
Kinda reminds me of when I used to build RC cars.
notec is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner