Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Upgraded gun killing my battery in 1.5 mags

:

Doctor's Corner

Old January 2nd, 2008, 00:16   #1
mrsmellybelly

Upgraded gun killing my battery in 1.5 mags

I have a Classic Army AUG a2. I used it for about a year, then one day my taplet plate exploded. So i sent it off to precision airsoft for an upgrade, tightbore and to get it to around 420 fps(notice their site says 400....don't know what that is all about but he told me 420 on the phone and i paid 89$....400 is 159 on the site?) Anyways, i got the gun back and i had been using a 9.6v on and off, kinda a backup battery. It's a custom 9.6v mini NiMh made to fit the stock with 1800mah. Since the upgrade, i've noticed a significant increase in performance as well as an obvious decrease in rate of fire. Along with this, the battery with a FULL charge lasts about 1.5 magazines then dies. When i used to use this battery, i could easily go 2 weeks, which is 2 skirmishes plus shooting around my house, and not need a charge. My bro used it for a skirmish last week and it was even't weak after he played for hours, but my AUG can drain it in litterally 1 magazine. Anyone have any ideas?

edit1: I have 5 8.4v mini batteries ranging in mah and manufacturer(intellect, sanyo, no-name) and none can turn the gun or really do anything, usually just a soft click.

Last edited by mrsmellybelly; January 2nd, 2008 at 00:33..
mrsmellybelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 00:24   #2
mcguyver

You'll need a bigger battery. Increasing spring load means your battery will be required to deliver more current during your motor's start-up as well as during the running of the motor during the cyclic load an AEG generates.

Smaller cells like an "AA" or fraction thereof do not generate the current required to run most loads like yours. The exception would be if you installed gears that would reduce cycle rate to reduce effective load on your motor, like torque-up gears. Otherwise, get a battery with sub-C cells, like 3000 mah NiMH or 2400 mah NiCad for example.

Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what's for dinner.

Freedom is the wolves limping away while the sheep reloads.

Never confuse freedom with democracy.
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 00:35   #3
mrsmellybelly

I'm not too good with this battery deal...so what voltage would i get these in and what size battery? Large or mini?

Edit: From what i can tell, there is no way a sub-c is gonna fit my stock and i even cut a piece out...what now?

Last edited by mrsmellybelly; January 2nd, 2008 at 00:38..
Old January 2nd, 2008, 00:37   #4
mcguyver

It would be a large, or variation thereof. 9.6v is fine, and 8.4 would likely be fine as well.

Old January 2nd, 2008, 00:40   #5
mrsmellybelly

So i would need to figure out how to attach this battery to my gun? This upgrading business has become more of a hassle than anything, they told me i could use the same battery i had been on the phone.
Old January 2nd, 2008, 00:43   #6
mcguyver

External battery system, like a battery sling or a battery bag attached to the gun are your best bets for using a large battery with an AUG. Both look ridiculous, and have durability issues, but you don't have many choices with an AUG.

Old January 2nd, 2008, 00:46   #7
mrsmellybelly

lol i got screwed, im gonna end up getting my stock spring put back in. thanks for the help
Old January 2nd, 2008, 02:39   #8
Kos-Mos

You can get a 20C 2100+ Li-Po pack to fit in there.

I did it with my AUG (1200mAh, but there was enought space to fit at least an other one the same size. Plus the standard "mini like" Li-Po is 2100mAh) and it was shooting at 445 fps. I could run that battery for at least 2 skrimishes.

If you dont know where to get one, go to your local hobbyshop. They should have some.

You would also like to get one with an auto-cut-off rated at least for 50A. That way you won't have to worry about blowing your new pack.
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 03:16   #9
Drake
E-01

Wow, dunno what their "upgrade package" consists of, but offhand I'd suggest it could be they used a pretty stiff spring (~400 fps) with stock ratio gears and combined with the fact you're using NiMH and most likely a pack made from smaller cells (2/3A or whatever... smaller than Sub-C...) since it's for an AUG.

NiMH doesn't discharge like NiCad, and smaller cells don't offer the same discharge rates as larger ones (no matter that they have the same rating -- size does matter). It's possible your battery barely has enough power to crank the mechbox when it's fully charged, so as soon as it discharges a bit (made much worse by the heavy load due to the stock ratio gears) it can't handle it anymore.

That's just a guess though. And since you sent it out for upgrading, I suppose tinkering isn't an option anyway. But I am curious what they put in for $89... I suppose there's labor. But it seems like a ripoff for just a spring.
Old January 2nd, 2008, 05:57   #10
DYORD

400+ fps.. you'll need Sub C batteries... 9.6V is fine. 8.4 is i think over killing your battery.
Old January 2nd, 2008, 08:07   #11
m102404
Tys

welcome to upgrading......makes you think back..."the old stock setup worked just fine and headache free, didn't it?"

LOL, best of luck

Note: I'd agree that the comments on using larger cells (i.e. sub-c vs. 2/3A) is right on. Same thing happened to a G36 that I owned. For most of my other AEGs that I want to get close but stay under 400fps (local field limits), I'll either stick to a M110 spring or cut 2-3 coils off of a M120 spring.
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 19:09   #12
Kos-Mos

I guess your best choice is external pack with a larger sub-c pack. I would chose a battery sling, but ultimately you have to chose.

I think someone cramped a sub-c pack in an AUG before, there was a tread somewhere about that. He was runnin only 7.2v... Still with a good large pack it should be enough.
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 20:26   #13
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
Would be nice to know exactly what spring was installed in the gun. A PDI 150% spring will kill a sub-cell battery pretty fast, even if it only shoots ~350fps (in your case 420fps, but I'm using my experience as an example), but a similar spring in the Prometheus 110SP range, producing ~365fps in my MP5, easily deals with even 600mAh battery packs.

Nutshell, some springs are better matched with some batteries than others. You should seriously contact the person who did the upgrades for you and ask what brand and type of spring was installed. MIGHT be easier for you to use your existing battery pack and buy a non-linear spring than to go searching for another battery pack that might give you more battery life, but still drain it faster than normal (instead of 1.5 mags per battery charge you might instead get a dozen mags, which still sucks for a day of playing............ unless you are dealing with hicaps only. Lol)
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 22:44   #14
arman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN_Stalker View Post
Would be nice to know exactly what spring was installed in the gun. A PDI 150% spring will kill a sub-cell battery pretty fast, even if it only shoots ~350fps (in your case 420fps, but I'm using my experience as an example), but a similar spring in the Prometheus 110SP range, producing ~365fps in my MP5, easily deals with even 600mAh battery packs.

Nutshell, some springs are better matched with some batteries than others. You should seriously contact the person who did the upgrades for you and ask what brand and type of spring was installed. MIGHT be easier for you to use your existing battery pack and buy a non-linear spring than to go searching for another battery pack that might give you more battery life, but still drain it faster than normal (instead of 1.5 mags per battery charge you might instead get a dozen mags, which still sucks for a day of playing............ unless you are dealing with hicaps only. Lol)

thats the same problem as my gun only get 2oo shots befor it dies... now i know somthing else to look at...

playing with my kid!
arman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2008, 20:00   #15
mrsmellybelly

well, im back again. I sent the gun off to be looked at and he said the AUG had some "internal errors" so he gave me a brand new one, upgraded + tightbore and it chronos around 420 fps. So i get it back and guess what, it still kills the battery but he said that my battery should be fine for an entire day. I really have no idea what is going on, but a question about the li-pos, they are like 11.1v, that wont have too high of a rate of fire will it? Cause i dont want to be shooting like 25bbs a second(estimate i have no idea how many an 11.1v will put out) at like 420 fps cause that seems like it would tear my gun to pieces in a matter of days. Thanks for all the input, i just want to make sure my next battery purchase will be my last...lol

How does this look, as long as i can figure out a way to attach it....

https://www.all-battery.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=1855

Last edited by mrsmellybelly; January 19th, 2008 at 20:04..
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner