Motor Retention Plate Screws Stripped

:

Doctor's Corner

Old December 30th, 2005, 00:57   #1
JohnnyDo

Send a message via MSN to JohnnyDo
Motor Retention Plate Screws Stripped

Problem:

The screws that hold down the motor retention plate have stripped the plastic mounts inside the hand grip. The plastic mounts could also be cracked and the motor plate will not hold hte motor in alignment with the mechbox.

Solution:

Tape the motor wires so they are off to the side. Grab some 5 minute epoxy, mix it for at least 1 minute to ensure it's well mixed. Now with a stick (I use a q-tip with the cotton cut off on one end) apply the epoxy to one side (opposite of the wires which is tapped off) and ensure that the epoxy is giving the plastic mounts good support all around it. You may have to mix up two batches of epoxy per side to ensure that you get a good ammount on for extra reinforment.

The above epoxy trick is good to do even if the plastic mounts are not cracked or stripped as it will strngthen the mount greatly. If it's already cracked it will help to ensure it won't get worse and give you something to screw into (see bellow). Repeat above steps to other side. Don't forget to wait at least 15 minutes to make sure this stuff is dry and relativly hard. 5 minute epoxy fully cures in 24 hours.

Now go to teh local hobby store or possibly the hardware store and pick up some screws. The ones I find fit the best and offer the best resistance against stripping out he plastic mounts as well having the screw head itself get stripped is to buy some Socket Head screws (sometimes called Cap Screws). These screws have a allen key hex type head on it that only a allen key will fit into. These are great becuase it's relativly hard to stip or ruin the head andit looks cool to. I got some stainless steel screws.

The size you need is:

No. 4 x 1" Socket Head Sheet Metal Screws

Do not use a machine screw or bolt as the threads are way too small (ie thin) and will nto hold very well. These screws have a relativly large thread and pretty deep allowing good grip inside a plastic hold. Since these screws are longer then the stock screws there is more for the screw to grip on to and you are less likly to strip or crack the plastic mount further.

The exact screws I used are:

DU-BRO
Cat. No. 384
No. 4 x 1" Socket Head Sheet Metal Screws
purchased at PM Hobby Craft in Calgary, AB for approx $2.50 for 8 screws

I hope this helps someone out down the road without having to buy a whole new lower receiver for their m4, mp5, or whatever.

Cheers :tup:
JohnnyDo is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner