Airsoft Canada
http://triggerairsoft.com/shop/

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

AUG mechbox locking up - Fixed. This can be deleted.

:

Doctor's Corner

Old November 3rd, 2005, 13:53   #1
gandar

Send a message via MSN to gandar
AUG mechbox locking up - Fixed. This can be deleted.

Ok, I mentioned this in a previous thread but I figured I would make my own. It seems that everything works flawlessly until I put the spring in. The spring came in the gun and is supposed to be a PDI140, is it possible that the motor just doesn't have enough power to torque that spring back? As I mentioned in the other thread, it's a 9.6V 1700mAh battery, and while it hasn't been charged in a while, it should still have lots of juice. Everything spins flawlessly when I don't have a spring in, that's what makes me believe that's the problem. I thought it might have been something with the tappet plate, but it doesn't seem to be an issue, all my gears are properly aligned and perfectly shimmed. I've also got a ball bearing spring guide.

A little quick history:
The gun came with the PDI140, everything else stock, it was firing fine, then the piston head stripped off, replaced the piston and the stock spring guide (it was fucked) at the same time, everything seemed fine still, fired it, shreded the sector gear. Just replaced the sector gear, now it won't fire. Binds up just before the piston is fully cycled.

Also, I'm willing to cut my spring if it is a matter of the motor not having enough power, I think this gun is shooting hot already though I don't have a chrony to check. I also have no way of confirming this is a PDI140.

Thanks in advance for any help guys.

This shows basically where it seems to be binding when everything is together, you can JUST barely see the nub on the sector gear through a hole in the mechbox when it stops turning.

Alternatively, I could just light you on fire. - Me
gandar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2005, 20:42   #2
mcguyver

either it's the way the video diplays on my screen or your spring looks like it's bowed like a banana. it should be replaced if this id the case. i replace d a 210% pdi that was like that because it forced the piston to wear into the piston guide on the mechbox and left blue shavings all throughout the mechbox. didn't cause jamming though. have your gears (especially spur) worn any spots in the mechbox? it looks to me that the bushing for the spur gear is on the spur gear and not firmly secured in the mechbox where it should be. this is a sign that the mechbox is toast (some of you may say "bullshit" but hear me out). the bushing should be secured on its outer race to the mechbox basically by pressure. it should not be loose or fall out. if it does the gears are impossible to shim at all, the gears will become free to "wobble" and cause grinding away of the mechbox, the gears or anything else. the only wear point on a bushing should be the inner race, but good lubrication will offset most or all of that. it doesn't appear to be any lube in there at all, which is the prime cause of bushing, gear and inevitable box failure. some guys will say there is no such thing as box failure inless it is physically broken (i've heard that one many,many times). but they are just plain wrong. bushings, just like bearings, need to have a firm and secure mount or they are useless. let me know if my imaging is mistaken because that's what it looks like to me
mcguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2005, 22:04   #3
gandar

Send a message via MSN to gandar
No, it's because I did a long exposure and moved a bit, you can see the blur in other spots.

Btw I fixed it. I shaved off the last 2 teeth of my piston with a file, and tried a different battery, the last tooth was too long and snagged my sector gear so it wouldn't fully release. It was silly, but I got it figured out.

I took a coil off the spring too, so it should be shooting a sane FPS now. I may go back up later if I find it's chronying too low, but judging by the dent in my panelling from before and from now, I didn't lose too much oompf...

Fixed though, which makes me happy.

Alternatively, I could just light you on fire. - Me
gandar is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner