Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Hi-Capa 4.3 : Creation Outer Barrel Compatibility with PGC slide

:

Doctor's Corner

Old January 12th, 2009, 22:29   #46
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

You can still use an inner barrel mounted compensator, but it will stick out and won't mate properly with the slide due to your new "ring fix".

However, with a steady hand, you may be able to open up the compensator's entrance wide enough to accept the ring as well.
ILLusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 22:55   #47
jaoquinz

Hi Illusion!

Do you happen to have a picture of the connecting end of a inner-barrel mounted comp to show how the the entire assembly comes together? I'm thinking with a comp that might help keep the ring in place once it returns to battery. At least preventing the ring from turning into another projectile in the middle of shooting.
jaoquinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 01:22   #49
jaoquinz

So the protrusion of the outerbarrel from the slide would be sunk into the comp? I'm sure if I file 1mm around the diameter of the opening that it would work...right?
Old January 13th, 2009, 05:17   #51
jaoquinz

AWESOME!! thanks.
Old January 13th, 2009, 09:42   #52
jaoquinz

Haha... after another mag the epoxy bond gave way and the ring propelled across the room.

Will try a higher strength epoxy weld in the weekend. Any ideas guys, short of welding? Grub screw ala PDI comp style would still move wouldn't it?
Old January 13th, 2009, 09:58   #53
m102404
Tys

If you're going for a "handy-man" do it yourself fix...why not try a bigger thicker ring (you could even file/contour it to your slide) with a through hole and grub screw.

You could extend the through hole into the outer barrel and then you'd have a physical bond between the ring and the barrel. The grub screw would go right through the ring and into the outer barrel.

And/or freeze-heat fit. Size the ring so that it won't go on (just barely too small). Freeze the outer barrel. Heat the ring with a torch and press fit it on. Plan ahead for this type of stuff...you only get one shot at it.

It's amazing the pounding that these things take!

Make the ring out of gold anodized aluminum....then all the kids will be copying you...
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 10:10   #54
Shirley
A-56 aka Mr.Hitman

I'm going to take pics later tonight of my PDI comp.
It comes with this ring that screws onto the inner barrel, but that's if you can get a 5.1 inner barrel which is longer for the ring to fit on.. So you can probably create the ring for it..?
Anyways, you live in Hong Kong dude! Plenty of parts around, I was thinking of selling you an 5.1 inner barrel, but looked at your location. lol

CANADIAN AIRSOFT PRACTICAL SHOOTING (CAPS)
CAPS DIRECTOR # 0047
Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 13:51   #55
jaoquinz

m102404: Freeze-heat fit? Wow interesting option... think I might do just that. But what material should the ring be? A silver ring would just melt under a torch wouldn't it? Hard to find alumnium jewelry around. Steel is too hard a material on the alumnium slide?

I would drill a hole into the ring.. if I had the tools to do so. If only I had access to machining tools, Ill be making my own comp to fit.

Mr.Hitman: Hey thanks appreciate that!

Yeah well I went to all the major shops Dentrinity, Tokyo Model, Guns 'n'Guys, Armed Forces, even the elusive Redwolf which only opens on alternate Saturdays until 1pm.. all say I'm f**ked please buy a new slide. I'll try not to until I screw up something else. Then I'll do what they say.
Old January 13th, 2009, 14:55   #56
Shirley
A-56 aka Mr.Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaoquinz View Post
m102404: Freeze-heat fit? Wow interesting option... think I might do just that. But what material should the ring be? A silver ring would just melt under a torch wouldn't it? Hard to find alumnium jewelry around. Steel is too hard a material on the alumnium slide?

I would drill a hole into the ring.. if I had the tools to do so. If only I had access to machining tools, Ill be making my own comp to fit.

Mr.Hitman: Hey thanks appreciate that!

Yeah well I went to all the major shops Dentrinity, Tokyo Model, Guns 'n'Guys, Armed Forces, even the elusive Redwolf which only opens on alternate Saturdays until 1pm.. all say I'm f**ked please buy a new slide. I'll try not to until I screw up something else. Then I'll do what they say.
heh well new slide is still cheaper than buying a PDI compensator.
You speak English very very well! What the heck?!

Another way to secure the slide is to have a thicker ring, have holes drilled maybe 2 or 3, and finding a screw which uses an allen key, I forgot what screws they are called.. Anyways, and then thread it and to tighten the ring onto the outer barrel, after that, and secure it more, use more epoxy or glue or whatever..
And then you can probably use a stock recoil spring to reduce the slide power..

Only other way is a new slide. :P

CAPS DIRECTOR # 0047
Old January 13th, 2009, 20:57   #57
jaoquinz

Well the new slide would of course be another last resort option, as previously mentioned the slide was a present.

But seriously, are your slides on your guns ok with the steel chambers? Any major damage? If I properly fitted the slide to the chamber would there be minimal damage to my slide lugs 3A and 3B? Or would it fail eventually, but at least not within the first 3 days.. like mine. :P
Old January 14th, 2009, 13:23   #58
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

90% of the pistols I've built are perfectly fine with steel chambers, even when the slide was soft die-casted zinc-aluminum.

You got burned on your deal. :P

As for fixing the ring on, a grub screw triangle should work well. Would recommend centre-punching or drill tipping in to the outer barrel where the grub screw would affix to to give a detent for the grub screw to grab on to. Secure with loctite, to make sure the grub screw doesn't back out.

@ Lanny, again, the PDI compensator solution is useless for the OPs needs. He needs his OUTER BARREL to have the compensator attached, not the inner barrel.
PS... Hong Kong was an English colony for 100 years. It's not surprising that the residents there can speak English when it was an official second language and taught in schools through a better part of the 20th century.
Old January 14th, 2009, 15:08   #59
Shirley
A-56 aka Mr.Hitman

Hmm weird, well the comp is wide enough to stop the slide from pushing forward and the comp over laps the outer barrel.

CAPS DIRECTOR # 0047
Old January 14th, 2009, 15:20   #60
ILLusion
GBB Whisperer

I know, but if you watch the action of the cycle, as you pull the slide back, the outer barrel will retract from the compensator that is mounted to the inner barrel.

For all intents and purposes, the inner barrel is actually "fixed" to the midframe and never moves.

As the slide moves forward, when it gets to the point where it needs to start pushing the outer barrel forward, the compensator won't be there. It'll be floating about 5mm in front of the slide. Even if the slide were able to slam against the compensator, all it would end up doing is pulling the inner barrel, and again, the inner barrel isn't connected to the outer barrel. The outer barrel is free moving, and the problem right now is that the outer barrel isn't moving forward anymore. It needs a way to be pulled or pushed back forward. That's why an outer barrel mounted compensator (or ring) would work.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner