Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Mechbox Review - Lonex drop-in mechbox

:

Reviews

Old October 16th, 2012, 12:07   #16
HKGhost

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach View Post
Stealth, any update on long term use? How are the boxes holding up to regular game use? Stock, out of box, game use? With minor upgrades to correct your "what we didn't like"?

Has anyone tried fitment in a Madbull receiver? I have a torus box that is snug in the MB. Shimmed well and good parts inside but got a sadly impressive burst of triple feeding at OP Deadfall. Theory is that the fitment with the top cover is just slightly off and torqued the mechbox causing something to bind.
I've worked on a gun with the Lonex GB in a Madbull body. It fitted pretty nicely without any additional work. It's pretty much a TM spec GB and doesn't have too much reinforcement that bulges out like the Torus one. I'm waiting on that customer to give me some feed back after a few games. But over all, it's a nice complete GB compared to others on the market. I would take this over many others complete GB, maybe even the Modify ones. But I need to see long term wear and over all reliability.

Custom Build | Upgrades | Repairs | Maintenance
HKGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 15:37   #17
phloudernow

Send a message via MSN to phloudernow Send a message via Skype™ to phloudernow
was wondering if purchasing this gearbox, i just change the spring to a m90 it should work fine right? i want more of a CQB type FPS for indoor games. obviously the weaker spring should be less stressful on the piston and gears.
Custom SAI BLU Glock Build (Timberwolf Base)
Custom Zev Noveske Shooting Team Glock 34
Project Guns
Custom Zev Dragonfly G17 (Project) (In progress)
phloudernow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 16:11   #18
Stealth
Mr. Silencer

I've been using both the complete and the Lonex shell for the entirety of this past season and haven't had any issues. We've also been hearing positive things from the other clients who have purchased the box. I think the Modify one is a bit beefier while the Lonex one is a bit more slim and "TM-spec" as HKGhost has said so it does make for installation a bit easier into a variety of bodies. I know the Modify shell doesn't work on my Systema (old school) metal body without a lot of "coaxing".

We did get a report of the trigger post snapping on one of the mechboxes but that seemed to be an isolated incident. We're currently following up with Lonex on that to ensure that we don't get any of that batch and to also make sure that they pay special attention to that area.

I know the box can take an M170 spring on a DSG setup without issue (of course, you'd have to swiss-cheese the piston, and a bunch of other things). John has it setup with an M150 single stroke setup, and I have had a variety of springs in it from M100s up to M140s. So the Lonex box will laugh at an M90 spring.

I'll be doing another DSG setup on it soon with RiotSC gears, but if you're looking for something that's a good base from which to build up from, this box is up there.

Last edited by Stealth; October 17th, 2012 at 16:23..
Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 17:31   #19
coach
aka coachster

nice to hear. has the complete box you've been using all stock Lonex or have you upgraded your don't like items?
coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 18:41   #20
SuperCriollo

My Lonex drop in gearbox is having issues with the trigger and contacts getting stuck, to the point it doesn't fired any more. I opened it up, and replaced all the electrical system with VFC parts. While it worked perfectly for a while, the problem returned, rendering my gun non-functional again...

Any idea what the heck is going on?
I suspect the proprietary tappet plate might have something to do with it :S

SuperCriollo
SuperCriollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 18:45   #21
PrIeSt
takagari

Send a message via MSN to PrIeSt Send a message via Skype™ to PrIeSt
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCriollo View Post
My Lonex drop in gearbox is having issues with the trigger and contacts getting stuck, to the point it doesn't fired any more. I opened it up, and replaced all the electrical system with VFC parts. While it worked perfectly for a while, the problem returned, rendering my gun non-functional again...

Any idea what the heck is going on?
I suspect the proprietary tappet plate might have something to do with it :S
The metal is sticking? Running an 11v? Try a mosfet
PrIeSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 19:43   #22
Stealth
Mr. Silencer

Are your trigger contact prongs too tight?
Old October 17th, 2012, 19:48   #23
coach
aka coachster

Quote:
proprietary tappet plate
really? boo!
Old October 17th, 2012, 19:51   #24
Stealth
Mr. Silencer

Quote:
really? boo!
Whaaa? LOL what's a proprietary tappet plate?
It's just like the Modify one where it's cut out in the parts where the mechbox is reinforced.

What does the tappet plate have to do with a sticky trigger?...
The tappet plate's job is to translate the rotational position of the sector gear into moving the nozzle forwards and backwards.
Old October 17th, 2012, 19:52   #25
SuperCriollo

Got the Lonex contacts out, and they are a little bit tight, but not that much :|
I'm not sure, in any case Im gonna have to crack it open anyway, and I'll try to oppen the prongs with pliers...
I've been running a 7.4 v for about 3 or 4 games, so it isnt that. The contacts looked shiny as a mirror.

The weird thing is that its happening with both, the Lonex, and VFC contacts, which leads me to think it might be something else.

Edit: It might also be that the returning spring is going out of place, any recommendations to fix that ? Super-Glue maybe?

SuperCriollo

Last edited by SuperCriollo; October 17th, 2012 at 19:56..
Old October 17th, 2012, 19:53   #26
coach
aka coachster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
Whaaa? LOL what's a proprietary tappet plate?
It's just like the Modify one where it's cut out in the parts where the mechbox is reinforced.
I dunno. He posted it.

glad it's like the modify one. thanks for the clarification though.
Old October 17th, 2012, 19:55   #27
Stealth
Mr. Silencer

Quote:
Got the Lonex contacts out, and they are a little bit tight, but not that much :|
I'm not sure, in any case Im gonna have to crack it open anyway, and I'll try to oppen the prongs with pliers...
I've been running a 7.4 v for about 3 or 4 games, so it isnt that. The contacts looked shiny as a mirror.

The weird thing is that its happening with both, the Lonex, and VFC contacts, which leads me to think it might be something else.
I have an idea of what's going on:
On the Lonex one, the prongs may be too tight.

On the VFC one, if the height of the electrical trigger block is too tight, when you close the mechbox, the top of the mechbox will press the prongs closer together, causing the prongs to come close together, causing binding.

I would just recommend opening up the Lonex one a bit and checking for electrical continuity when the trigger is open and closed. You don't need to prongs to grip the sled anyway, just enough to make an electrical circuit.
Old October 18th, 2012, 09:16   #28
Stealth
Mr. Silencer

Quote:
nice to hear. has the complete box you've been using all stock Lonex or have you upgraded your don't like items?
Upgraded the don't like items and a few other small bits.
Really just the rear connector, sorbo pad, sector clip and swiss-cheesed the piston to prevent pre-engagement.
Old October 21st, 2012, 10:32   #29
Splashx

I've been using the complete Lonex Sp100 for about 4 months and it's still running as smoothly as NIB!
I'm using 7.4v while shooting 405fps and great ROF
Splashx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2012, 13:11   #30
SuperCriollo

Just found out that this part of the gearbox shell (red circled) broke inside...
That might been the cause of all my problems. Now its running, but semi-auto doesn't work any more.

SuperCriollo
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews