Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

VFC SCAR-L Hopup

:

Doctor's Corner

Old April 20th, 2010, 09:58   #16
GBear

Send a message via MSN to GBear
Oh wow m102404. Thanks for the informative guide. I just have a few things to clear up.

When you said to take the barrel out of the hop-up to clean it, how would I do this? The same way I put it in? Because, I've read that the sleeves are oiled when you get them. When you take them out, the oil will have worn down, making it much tougher to take out I'm assuming. Would I have to to take the entire hop-up out?

Also, how did you know I was behaving well at the FR game?! I barely met anyone there because I had the worst headache, almost no sleep, and already pretty shy, making me extremely anti-social.

And while I was reading your whole post, I realized that is completely filled with sexual innuendos LOL! "Use your saliva." "Go gently/smoothly." etc. Amazing post.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayce View Post
I wish I could upload a few gameplay videos of me on Alliance of Valiant Arms for you guys to compare to.

I am not familiar with airsoft.

What my question is, does the element of surprise work on a typical airsoft match?
GBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 10:02   #17
m102404
Tys

We see everything....

You can clean your barrel with it in the rifle...just note that any crap you push down the barrel towards the hopup will end up in the chamber.

Or...you can take the hopup/barrel out of the rifle and clean it...

Or...you can take the barrel out of the hopup and clean it..

Yes, the rubber/barrel might be harder to take out once it's settled in there. Wiggle/jiggle/work it out.
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 10:05   #18
GBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by m102404 View Post
We see everything....
Lol, I'm scared.

Okay, that sounds good. I actually need to find myself a barrel clean rod. My gun didn't come with one and I'm not sure where I can buy one.

Quote:
I wish I could upload a few gameplay videos of me on Alliance of Valiant Arms for you guys to compare to.

What my question is, does the element of surprise work on a typical airsoft match?
Old April 20th, 2010, 10:10   #19
m102404
Tys

Go to a gun shop and buy a proper cleaning rod. One piece, plastic coated. Not a multi-sectioned rod (the joints will scratch up your barrel). You do not want to use a brush on it. A jag or split tip is fine.

6mm = .243cal...airsoft barrels are typically between 6.08-6.03mm...6.10 and 6.01 are the extremes. A .22cal rod will work too.

At most, use light silicone oil to clean your barrel...nothing that will corrode the brass barrel, leave oily residue or harm rubber. Keep patching it out afterwards until it's "dry". It might take a mag of BB's through it afterwards to wipe out any oil left on the rubber...but you'll have to sight in your hopup anyways.
Old April 20th, 2010, 10:12   #20
GBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by m102404 View Post
Go to a gun shop and buy a proper cleaning rod. One piece, plastic coated. Not a multi-sectioned rod (the joints will scratch up your barrel). You do not want to use a brush on it. A jag or split tip is fine.

6mm = .243cal...airsoft barrels are typically between 6.08-6.03mm...6.10 and 6.01 are the extremes. A .22cal rod will work too.

At most, use light silicone oil to clean your barrel...nothing that will corrode the brass barrel, leave oily residue or harm rubber. Keep patching it out afterwards until it's "dry". It might take a mag of BB's through it afterwards to wipe out any oil left on the rubber...but you'll have to sight in your hopup anyways.
What do you mean by a light silicone oil? Like the oil has been diluted? Or is 100% fine?

Quote:

Old April 20th, 2010, 10:19   #21
m102404
Tys

Light refers to the weight (viscosity) of the oil. Really, really lightweight stuff is 0.5-1wt...heavier stuff is 5-20wt. Hobby Shops have it for RC car shocks...mostly thicker/heavier stuff (30/50/80/100+wt).

Airsoftparts.ca sells lightweight stuff.

Always use 100% pure silicone.

Lightweight stuff is great for "seeping" into cracks and not clumping up dust/dirt. Heavier weight doesn't seem to "evaporate" as quick.

Just keep in mind what you're trying to do when you're cleaning the barrel..
1. get all the dust/sand/dirt/junk out of the barrel
2. have as smooth/pristine a surface as possible
3. not scratch it up
4. not ruin your hopup rubber (physically or chemically)
Old April 20th, 2010, 10:24   #22
GBear

Okay cool thanks!

I'll have to call up the local gun shop to see if they have any of these cleaning rods in stock.

Quote:

Old April 20th, 2010, 11:25   #23
GBear

So it ends up the local gun shop does not carry .22 cleaning rods. The guy is unsure what's included in the .17 cleaning rod package because it is sealed.

On eBay, almost all of the rods are 3 piece ones.

Quote:

Old April 20th, 2010, 12:32   #24
Danke

How about a 3 piece rod with a chunk of heat shrink snugged over the joins.
Old April 20th, 2010, 13:27   #25
-Trooper-
a.k.a. Egria

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBear View Post
Since I think I have a proprietary hop-up, does that mean I can't upgrade the inner barrel?

Is this a good or bad thing?
You can change the inner barrel. I have an Prometheus M16 barrel in mine and it works fine.
The tightness of the hopup isn't that great. Since it's so tight, there is not much room for the rubber contract after it has expanded.

PURVEYOR OF FINE PARACORD PRODUCTS

www.beaconconceptsco.com

Click Here For ASC Thread

Team GHOSTS - G86
-Trooper- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 13:54   #26
GBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Trooper- View Post
You can change the inner barrel. I have an Prometheus M16 barrel in mine and it works fine.
The tightness of the hopup isn't that great. Since it's so tight, there is not much room for the rubber contract after it has expanded.
Personally, would you say that TBB was worth the purchase? I'd just like personal opinions to help me decide if I want to upgrade or not. What about a suppressor and/or tactical grip? Yay or nay?

Quote:

Old April 20th, 2010, 14:26   #27
GBear

Also, for anyone wondering, it takes 1.5mm allen key to loosen the screw and take out the hop-up. I need to find one around the house. :/

Quote:

Old April 20th, 2010, 14:28   #28
-Trooper-
a.k.a. Egria

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBear View Post
Personally, would you say that TBB was worth the purchase? I'd just like personal opinions to help me decide if I want to upgrade or not. What about a suppressor and/or tactical grip? Yay or nay?
Meh, I switched it out again with the inner barrel that came with it. The only reason I could fit such a long inner barrel was because I had a silencer to hide the extra length, but then I found it to be too long for my liking.

PURVEYOR OF FINE PARACORD PRODUCTS

www.beaconconceptsco.com

Click Here For ASC Thread

Team GHOSTS - G86
-Trooper- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2010, 14:30   #29
GBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Trooper- View Post
Meh, I switched it out again with the inner barrel that came with it. The only reason I could fit such a long inner barrel was because I had a silencer to hide the extra length, but then I found it to be too long for my liking.
So you don't like the silencer?

Quote:

Old April 20th, 2010, 14:47   #30
Danke

I put a copy of the AAC can on mine but couldn't find a tac grip I liked. There are some pics in the SCAR media thread.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner