Old January 23rd, 2015, 22:39   #16
GR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee View Post
*Looks at comment*
- "Hmm, can't look better than E&L... Let's take a look..."
*Views video, gets to range part*
- "I think I need new pants now..."

P.S. If the person thinks CYMA is an "expensive gun", it would not be wise to advise them to get an $800 rifle (even though its frikkin' awesome), imo.

Last edited by GR; January 23rd, 2015 at 22:44..
GR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2015, 23:58   #17
Kingsix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gato View Post
VFC, LCT or Realsword for AK. I wouldn't even suggest E&L, there was massive hype for em but the end product doesn't compare to RS or LCT.

E&L seems to pay more attention to detail on the externals, everything is pinned no hidden grub screws. The receiver seems to be pretty descent.

Gearbox looks like it was made by Dboys and they have QC problems. I would like for them to have a AKMN option, but in reality AKMN wasn't a very common gun at the time.

LCT
Good gearbox, they lose points for using grub screws instead of pins and screws instead of rivets in some places to make manufacturing easier.

They don't pay attention to detail as much as some other manufacturers
(AK-74 having a larger gap between automatic and semi) but they have a wide range of Aks to satisfy anyone.

Realsword

Norinco Type 56 with a AEG shell Pricey but very close to a real AK. They are well made pretty much collectors items. Their Type 56-1 uses a TM style locking mechanism which can be fragile when compared to the way VFC and LCT locks the under folding stock.

VFC
Only VFC would redesign their AK-74M instead of just slapping on AK-74M furniture on a AKS-74 and calling it a day. They pay attention to detail their internals aren't too bad. Good air seal, self shimming gears are iffy weak pistons.

CYMA
Good gearbox, externals aren't too bad, but AKs are supposed to be Steel and wood/polymer weapons and not Aluminum zinc alloy.

CYMA advertises Steel construction but it's only for the Receiver and dustcover and not any of the load bearing components. The rear stock trunion and rear sight block, front sight are made of potmetal.

I don't like the fact they use a half moon front sight drum instead of a standard drum (Again attention to detail(

I found their rear sights have a lot of play and should be shimmed if you want the gun to hold zero.

Their new design is part VFC and part LCT. The don't use the spring loaded hopup trolley that VFC does, instead opting for a LCT style hopup arrangement.

However they kept the VFC style pin that keeps the lower and upper together. This is strange because it makes takedown kinda strange. VFC/Dboys owners know that the spring loaded hopup trolley makes removing the gearbox a breeze.

In short CYMA externals will fall apart before the gearbox stops working.
Old January 25th, 2015, 00:52   #18
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee View Post
I disagree, these days GHK rifles are so reliable they can totally be a first gun.
I agree. They are super reliable and amazing. But I feel if you're new to airsoft maybe a AEG is good to start and then a GBBR later? I guess it mainly depends on what you really want.

If he uses green gas mags it will be harder to play in colder temperatures.
Flawless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2015, 10:50   #19
siggypoo

First gun for an AK Fanatic?

For myself, it was precisely the opposite. Gearboxes and wiring had me suffering Tourette's, while the simplicity, sound, and feel of gas drew me in wholeheartedly.

Last edited by siggypoo; January 25th, 2015 at 11:09..
siggypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2015, 10:57   #20
hollywood...
cranky old man

Quote:
Originally Posted by siggypoo View Post
For myself, it was precisely the opposite. Gearboxes and wiring had me suffering Tourette's, while the simplicity, sound, and feel of gas drew me in wholeheartedly.

yup
Old January 25th, 2015, 11:52   #21
Kokanee
Ministry of Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flawless View Post
I agree. They are super reliable and amazing. But I feel if you're new to airsoft maybe a AEG is good to start and then a GBBR later? I guess it mainly depends on what you really want.

If he uses green gas mags it will be harder to play in colder temperatures.
CO2 mags all the way
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2015, 17:41   #22
Flawless

I guess you guys are right. If I were to start all over. I would probably have bought a GBBR first. They are just so much fun. To take apart and clean and lube. They are also easy to fix and replace parts.
Old January 25th, 2015, 17:49   #23
Slodin

I liked the echo1 ak700..it was nice and has rails for optics or flashlight
Old January 26th, 2015, 16:25   #24
Silly_Ghillie

Thank you all for the helpful replies! But in regards to KingSix's statement regarding the fact that externals will fall apart before internals. How long does it normally take for that process to really be noticable?
Silly_Ghillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2015, 16:46   #25
MADDOG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Ghillie View Post
Thank you all for the helpful replies! But in regards to KingSix's statement regarding the fact that externals will fall apart before internals. How long does it normally take for that process to really be noticable?
Even with the abuse I give mine, all my CYMA/TM externals lasted 6-8 years before anything broke, but the paint etc will wear off much quicker and not stay original colour for long. And the builds these days are much better than they used to be. I have TM based AK's that are now just reaching their end of life span at over 12 years hard use. Parts have broken off etc but they were able to be maintained.

Cry Havoc, Let slip the Dogs of War!

"Opportunities multiply as they are seized."
- Sun Tzu, The Art of War
MADDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2015, 19:11   #26
Silly_Ghillie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADDOG View Post
Even with the abuse I give mine, all my CYMA/TM externals lasted 6-8 years before anything broke, but the paint etc will wear off much quicker and not stay original colour for long. And the builds these days are much better than they used to be. I have TM based AK's that are now just reaching their end of life span at over 12 years hard use. Parts have broken off etc but they were able to be maintained.
Thanks!
Silly_Ghillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2015, 15:13   #27
Flawless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Ghillie View Post
Just make sure you put some lock-tite on any screws that look like they could come loose over time.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Newbie Tank