Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews
Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Mechbox Review - Lonex drop-in mechbox

:

Reviews

Old September 24th, 2013, 09:20   #151
SuperHog

It would be cool and innovative if Lonex designed a split gear box like the WE Katana/ICS.

So "NO" is kinda negative for a company that is bragging about their innovative gear boxes. Is that "NO" the permanent answer from Lonex?

I own both AEG and PTW and prefer working on the PTW more because of separate cylinder.

Last edited by SuperHog; September 24th, 2013 at 09:32..
SuperHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 09:56   #152
Stealth
Mr. Silencer

To-date the only truly-good, well-designed, well-executed 2-piece gearbox has been the ProWin 7 and 8mm boxes.

I had high-hopes for the WE system but ... some key design decisions ended up making it a disappointing product. I understand the idea that they were trying to achieve, but both systems just fell short in execution. In defense of all standard 1-piece gearboxes, I can't with good conscience say that the WE Katana and ICS gearboxes are great mechboxes.

Here's why.
Katana:
* Copies the PTW Tappetless design which has been known to not work for anything considered "high-speed". I don't have personal experience with this since I only shoot semi-auto, well that and I don't have extended trigger time behind a PTW. But I haven't witnessed any fast PTWs.
* Weak spring-release mechanism - anybody who has released the spring via the ARL in a mechbox designed with this provision knows how much force is required to pry the ARL loose. And since you're dealing with a system that basically REQUIRES you to release the spring before you can separate halves and you're basically looking at a matter of time before that part fails.
* Short stroked cylinder set - why?
* Requires proprietary bodies - standard bodies could be made to fit with modification (not sure how extensive)

ICS:
* Clunky - the upper is literally just a chopped standard upper which you'll have to open up anyway - so what's the point?
* Proprietary parts - hop-up, nozzle, ARL
* Requires proprietary body which in turn requires proprietary stocks, RIS and delta rings, pistol grips, and even the trigger guard

On the other hand - if someone can come up with an ACTUALLY great system, doesn't use proprietary parts, then please take my money. (remember when Systema released their 1-piece hop-up system? That shit was bananas) The truth of the matter is that - while we (referring to the gunsmithing population) not resistant to improvements, proprietary parts have never really gained much traction in the market for the exact reason - they're just trends. We're still very much grounded on the Marui-principle.

Last edited by Stealth; September 24th, 2013 at 09:58..
Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 10:23   #153
SuperHog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
To-date the only truly-good, well-designed, well-executed 2-piece gearbox has been the ProWin 7 and 8mm boxes.
ProWin can do it. Lonex can't?
Old September 24th, 2013, 10:48   #154
Stealth
Mr. Silencer

Functionally, ProWin mechboxes required the use of a Hurricane metal body otherwise modifications to the receiver need to be made. But the power-handling capabilities at least made the endeavour worthwhile.

At the time (circa 2007), the ProWin mechboxes were $250 USD overseas - IIRC, they were $350+, if not $400 landed in Canada (via ILLusion). And the internals were sketchy at best by today's standards. ProWin stopped making them because they deemed it not worthwhile for the CNC machine time. For it to be re-released today, it would be around the $350 USD mark overseas and then you'd still have to upgrade the internals. So you're looking at $450+ for something that can be considered high-calibre. Hell, I can't even say I would buy it for that price, but I'm not in the majority of users. I recognize that these are purely speculative prices, albeit educated guesses.

I'm rambling a bit here, but the bottom line is that the ProWin box was and still is overbuilt for most users. Lonex boxes in their current state can handle over 550fps (we haven't gone past that yet) and they take all industry-standard parts - so it begs the question - what's in it for Lonex or another company to re-innovate and over-engineer the wheel in order to satisfy a small minority of users in the subset of situations where they would only swap the spring without servicing the internals?

Last edited by Stealth; September 24th, 2013 at 10:55..
Old September 24th, 2013, 10:55   #155
SuperHog

Lonex is pot metal. So make a split gear box out of pot metal not CNC billet.

I would rather buy a practical split gear box, than a useless gearbox rated for 550+fps.

Last edited by SuperHog; September 24th, 2013 at 11:25..
Old September 24th, 2013, 11:41   #156
Stealth
Mr. Silencer

LOL you may be onto something here, but no existing mechbox manufacturer is going to do it. They are all perfectly happy with copying each other's designs to re-innovate a new design.

A "perfect" gearbox would seamlessly install into a standard TM-spec body, seamlessly split open, implement a fantastic, fail-proof spring-release function (Pro-Win style), be 100% compatible with current industry-standard parts, allow high-speed and high-power builds, be 100% on-spec, come with an integrated hop-up unit, and come in under $100 (because let's face it : for anything more, nobody will buy it). I throw an open invitation to anyone who can do this. I will purchase 50 units. I'm serious.

Simply put, this "perfect" gearbox hasn't been created because the need for it by the industry as a whole has not called for it. Fact: The majority are happy with what currently exists. The industry - like any other - is self-innovating. If a need arises for something new to come out, it will. Just like frontal mechbox reinforcements, one-piece hop-up units, anti-reversal latch releases...

Before I go any further, let me just say that I'm not trying to be deliberately obtuse. I think this perfect mechbox idea would be GREAT, I just don't think it would be profitable for the iterative R&D design process you'd need to put into it.

Last edited by Stealth; September 24th, 2013 at 12:09..
Old September 24th, 2013, 13:38   #157
Rabbit
formerly FrankieCees, Remylebeau

Have you gotten any feedback on the Ver.3 boxes? In particular issues with lets say the trigger post breaking like in the original batch of Ver.2s?

Fitment issues in certain brand receivers?
Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 13:41   #158
Stealth
Mr. Silencer

We've sold about 10 so far, 2 people off the top of my head bruce and atomicdee.

No issues reported to-date.
Old September 24th, 2013, 19:23   #159
Stealth
Mr. Silencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
Have you gotten any feedback on the Ver.3 boxes? In particular issues with lets say the trigger post breaking like in the original batch of Ver.2s?

Fitment issues in certain brand receivers?
I use one in my TM G36. Motor cage was compatible with TM. All the parts fit perfectly when I swapped over from a TM gearbox.

V3 boxes don't have the trigger post issue. In fact, they don't have a trigger post at all since there's a piece which hooks into the trigger and that wouldn't break.

John
Old September 24th, 2013, 21:33   #160
bruce
Super Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to bruce Send a message via MSN to bruce
Both the Lonex V3 gearbox ( 1 complete and 1 shell ) are working great on the Beta Project AK and LCT RPK .

LCT trigger has a smaller front post on their trigger so I had to buy another Lonex trigger. The other LCT parts that I did use, fit with no problems. The LCT motor mount fits better on the Lonex than on their own LCT gearbox shell.

I had to trim down the V3 SHS trigger switch assembly. It didn't fit well but I wanted the extended trigger wedge on the SHS.

I found the piston guide rails on the Lonex gearbox shells to be too sharp on the edges. Just sand them down to prevent them from cutting into the piston.

Everyone loves the sound the guns make with the Lonex high speed gears and A1 Titans on 11.1V LiPos.
Old October 2nd, 2013, 15:41   #161
Gattobuono

This is a really useful review. Can anyone tell me if this gearbox would fit into my CYMA MP5 A5 CM041J without any problems?

Thanks
Gattobuono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2013, 07:43   #162
Stealth
Mr. Silencer

The one I reviewed won't, but this would:
http://www.airsoftcanada.com/showthread.php?t=158375
Old October 8th, 2013, 13:57   #163
Krawch

I have a Top Tech G&G TR4 CQB-S with the pneumatic blow back I am not quite sure what else I need to order to have a functioning charging handle and fake bolt I don't care about the blow back but it being empty behind my dust cover and no charging handle is not doable for my OCD when it comes to my gun lol will I be able to use my g&g charging handle or that needs to be replaced too? I plan on ordering the m120 with 70oo sorbo, Prometheus 363mm, lonex hop unit, r hop, r hop install kit and whatever else I need for my bolt

thanks
Krawch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2013, 14:54   #164
Stealth
Mr. Silencer

I think your charging handle/bolt requirement is more to do with your receiver than the actual mechbox itself although if you get a standard mechbox (like the Lonex), you will instantly lose the "blowback".

I cannot comment further without looking at the receiver itself. While it may be possible to scavenge some fake bolt/charging handle from another gun, your receiver may not be equipped to receive it.
Old October 8th, 2013, 16:40   #165
Krawch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
I think your charging handle/bolt requirement is more to do with your receiver than the actual mechbox itself although if you get a standard mechbox (like the Lonex), you will instantly lose the "blowback".

I cannot comment further without looking at the receiver itself. While it may be possible to scavenge some fake bolt/charging handle from another gun, your receiver may not be equipped to receive it.
Thanks for the reply I can take the upper off when I get home and take a look only thing is I don't know what I'm looking for haha what does the fake bolt need inside the receiver to work?
Krawch is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Information Center > Reviews