Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

MP 40 - Plastic Selector Plate

:

WW1, WW2

Old April 17th, 2009, 16:05   #1
Latvian291
a.k.a. Submachinehead

MP 40 - Plastic Selector Plate

I was surprised that this mostly metal gun has a plastic selector plate! The darn thing broke. I personally don't understand why it's got a selector plate at all because the real MP40 was full auto only. However, it's nice to switch to semi to decompress the mainspring.

I'm going to make some metal ones, including one for my own AGM MP40. They will be of blue tempered steel. If anyone is interested in one please PM me.

Edit: someone's pmed me and told me that there's electrical contacts on it so you can't make it out of metal. I don't think this is true because I've taken the gun apart and I've seen that it is a mechanical, not electrical function. The selector plate depresses a spring which trips up the full auto lever. I could be wrong, but I highly doubt it. I will try it out and post pics.

Last edited by Latvian291; April 19th, 2009 at 08:03..
Latvian291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 15:58   #2
Latvian291
a.k.a. Submachinehead

A little update:

I made about 3 or 4 prototypes and I was not satisfied. They worked alright but the design has to be different than the plastic ones because engineering metal is obviously different. They had to be installed differently than the plastic ones which I was also not happy with.

The solution to the problem hit me as I was driving home. I will be back in the shop tomorrow and I will hopefully have completed a few plates which will install like the originals but be much stronger of course!

The blue-tempered steel seems to be an excellent replacement material. The arm that interfaces with the selector switch requires a 90 degree bend in the metal and after the torch bending it still is just as strong as before bending.
Old April 30th, 2009, 10:39   #3
MrBond
formerly tattoodan

Any idea how much you would sell them ?

Team Mandrills
MrBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 19:15   #4
Latvian291
a.k.a. Submachinehead

Here - I've got some pics. I made about half a dozen prototypes and I kept them but didn't photograph them.

I will make these to order for anyone who's interested. I am going to use different metal though because I find this type too thin for the rails it's supposed to slide into.

I can make 'em for $30.00 each shipped. If there's enough interest I'll make a trip to the metal warehouse and see what they have in a thicker stock.

I tried to order a replacement plastic selector switch for my MP40 but they're hard to get too.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Themed Airsoft > WW1, WW2