Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Red Dot on Pistol (positioning)

:

Accessories Discussion

Old September 20th, 2015, 22:21   #1
8bitninja

Red Dot on Pistol (positioning)

Balance issues aside, should one mount the reflex sight as far back as possible? The inch or two makes it ever so slightly easier to locate the dot in the sight window -- barring 100% precise muscle memory.

Example...

Old September 21st, 2015, 00:07   #2
Danke

I like far forward on that style of mount so I can manipulate the slide normally.
Old September 21st, 2015, 01:03   #3
RainyEyes

I believe that you're supposed to put it more forward to get the biggest picture and to prevent tunnel vision on a rifle, but I could be wrong for pistols.
RainyEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2015, 08:47   #4
8bitninja

Pulling some info from my travels...

"You should position the red dot on the rail at the point where it best facilitates your natural point of aim. For me, that was always more toward the rear, which helps me keep from letting the muzzle dip. Others want it over the center or the gun. Less commonly, I see bullseye shooters mount their red dots well forward.

Mount the dot where you think you like it, and then with your eyes closed, raise the pistol to eye level and then open your eyes. Where is the dot in relation to the center of the target? If the dot is low, you may want to change your stance and/or grip and move the red dot rearward. If it is high, moving it forward may help.

It is not that you cannot overcome a less than optimal natural point of aim with conscious effort, it is just that it is best to let nature work for you, which includes stance, grip, and the balance of the pistol in your hand, e.g., where you have placed the red dot in relation to the pistol's natural balancing point."

"I opted to mount the sight as far forward as the mounting hardware would permit, because the dot is just as well visible and as easily aligned in the forward-most position, and where it obscures less of the downrange view. This permits the maximum view of the downrange target..."
Old September 21st, 2015, 08:49   #5
8bitninja

And finally...

"The closer the eye is to the sight the more forgiving the sight will be when trying to pick up the dot. This becomes a greater issue when in unconventional positions or running the gun as fast as possible.

Placement of the optic is a series of compromises. Keep in mind that while you may be shooting with both eyes open, one of those eyes needs to be able to see through the sight to the target."
Old September 21st, 2015, 14:44   #6
Danke

If you can pickup irons you can pickup a red dot.

The rest of the stuff is some sort of personal voodoo vibe meant to psych out the competition if they've got their optic in a different spot or god forbid no optic at all.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Accessories Discussion