Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

VFC PDW or Dboys PDW

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old July 2nd, 2013, 19:22   #1
shelcoof

VFC PDW or Dboys PDW

Hi Folks

So I'm in the market for a PDW. My very first airsoft rifle was a WE PDW which I had sold ages ago due to constant problems. I did really love that gun.....

I do miss the PDW and I'm looking at the Dboys version and the VFC version.

Now my reason to picking up this AEG is due to its smaller size and weight.

But I can't decide on which one to go for. All I've found out is that the Dboys is much cheaper than the VFC pretty much half the price maybe even less.

What I'm really concerned about is external quality and weight. Those will be the deciding factor. Performance out of the box is important but with airsoft you can always upgrade them.

I don't want a gun that will fall apart in my hands while I game it. Also I want the lighter AEG out of the two.

If anyone can provide any detail based on their experience of the two it would be great

Thanks
S
shelcoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 19:41   #2
jomor

PDW

With out question the VFC is the better gun. They have the best externals for AEG's that have seen. If you spend the extra bucks get the long and short with all the Knights extras make for a a very nice package!
jomor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 19:46   #3
HKGhost

The Dboys PDW is a copy of the VFC PDW. So basically they're the exact same gun other than the build quality. Since they're the same, I recommend getting the VFC one just for the better build quality. I also recommend changing out the piston on the VFC as they tend to strip easily. Others might tell you that they've ran the stock pistons for many years, but I don't think they were running lipos. So depending on which battery you plan on using, swapping the piston for a full metal rack piston is recommended if you're using lipos.

Custom Build | Upgrades | Repairs | Maintenance
HKGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2013, 21:05   #4
Flailing_Seagul

A team mate has a Dboys PDW and really likes it. Must admit Ive shot it and it worked fairly well stock. I believe all he did was tight bore, new piston and bearings with a new shim job and its quite the cqb gun. Hands down the VFC is the better gun. But for the price difference, if your good with working on AEG's; you can have a better performing gun for less or equal money. Personally I think the body quality of the dboys was quite good. So I'd save the difference and just build the dboy's....just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Flailing_Seagul; July 2nd, 2013 at 21:14..
Flailing_Seagul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 00:05   #5
shelcoof

Hey guys

Thanks for posting in. I've been reading everywhere that VFC is the better brand with better external build quality etc and I don't doubt it.

I was hoping someone here had actual hands on experience with both AEGs who can provide a side by side comparison if possible.

If I can't find out on actual details then the VFC it is as that is the more reputable brand to go for.

I think what really boils down to is the weight and the build quality. I mean for the price of the Dboys if it is built solid and as light as the VFC I might as well go for that. I hope people aren't confusing build quality for look and finish. I know VFC has very nice looking guns... I know I own a 416 CQB but all I really care about for the price is that it doesn't break in my hands.

Now if I was to shell out the cash for the VFC it better be solid and have the aesthetics to go along with it lol

btw any recommendations on where to pick up the VFC version? I know TA has them listed.

Cheers
S
Old July 3rd, 2013, 00:23   #6
HKGhost

All of Dboys guns are VFC copies. Their HK416, M4 and PDW are all exactly the same as VFC's guns. The only real difference is the build quality and the material used to make the parts. They are very low quality and are a hit or miss. Some may have been lucky and got a builder that got enough sleep and was happy that day. While others may got a guy building on a Friday and rushed to finish early. The most important part of a AEG is the gearbox. And Dboys gearbox are a mess. I usually charge 1.5x more working on ACM gearbox than a quality brand AEG. Sometimes I just refuse to even take a look at an ACM AEG due to the fact that it's a nightmare. Just my thoughts.

Custom Build | Upgrades | Repairs | Maintenance
HKGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 02:01   #7
shelcoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKGhost View Post
All of Dboys guns are VFC copies. Their HK416, M4 and PDW are all exactly the same as VFC's guns. The only real difference is the build quality and the material used to make the parts.
Yhaa the material is what gets me. I really hate low quality pot metal externals. They are heavy and seem to just fall apart in your hands. But the material quality all varies depending on the brand though. I have no experience with Dboy guns so it would be nice to hear some reviews from some of the users who have handled their guns.

As for the gearbox I'm not going to be expecting much to be honest. I could just buy a replacement gearbox and swap it in if necessary. Even with the added gearbox it still would be greatly cheaper than the VFC PDW.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 02:23   #8
ccyg8774

I have a DBOY PDW, and saw another one from a friend. Haven't got a chance to try VFC PDW but have some experience on other VFC guns.

My DBOY PDW have a gap between the upped and lower receiver, but they get together just fine, just some wobbling between upper and lower receiver. Another gap between the barrel and the gas block, after I installed the longer outer barrel, but not very noticeable. The folding stock is also wobbling. The rail is thicker than it should be, most accessories and rail covers that are not QD have a hard time getting on that, I have to push like crazy hard against a desk to get my KAC type rail cover on. The finishing on the "nob" that hold the folding stock when it is folded get wore very fast, but finishing on other places are fine for now.

My friend's DBOY PDW had more finishing wore, but I guess that is fine since his was being used more. Didn't see the stupid gap between upper and lower receiver, probably less noticeable or not present on his gun. His stock is also wobbling. He don't use any accessories nor rail covers so we don't know if the rail is also off spec on his gun.

Other than that, I think it is fine. The internal may need some cleaning, shimming, and regreasing. If you can do that yourself, great. If you have to pay someone else to do that, remember to consider that cost when compares between the VFC and DBOY.

The VFC gearbox is much better. Even when you had to do work on it, it would be almost a pleasure to work with, compares to DBOY guns.

Last edited by ccyg8774; July 3rd, 2013 at 02:33..
ccyg8774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 02:34   #9
shelcoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccyg8774 View Post
I have a DBOY PDW, and saw another one from a friend. Haven't got a chance to try VFC PDW but have some experience on other VFC guns.

My DBOY PDW have a gap between the upped and lower receiver, but they get together just fine, just some wobbling between upper and lower receiver. Another gap when I installed the longer outer barrel, but not very noticeable. The folding stock is also wobbling. The rail is thicker than it should be, most accessories and rail covers that are not QD have a hard time getting on that, I have to push like crazy hard against a desk to get my KAC type rail cover on. The finishing on the "nob" that hold the folding stock when it is folded get wore very fast, but finishing on other places are fine for now.

My friend's DBOY PDW had more finishing wore, but I guess that is fine since his was being used more. Didn't see the stupid gap between upper and lower receiver, probably less noticeable or not present on his gun. His stock is also wobbling. He don't use any accessories nor rail covers so we don't know if the rail is also off spec on his gun.

Other than that, I think it is fine. The internal may need some cleaning, shimming, and regreasing. If you can do that yourself, great. If you have to pay someone else to do that, remember to consider that cost when compares between the VFC and DBOY.

The VFC gearbox is much better. Even when you had to do work on it, it would be almost a pleasure to work with, compares to DBOY guns.
Hey really appreciate the detailed post. This is exactly what I'm looking to find out.

Just a few follow up questions though. When you say the nob has wore on it. Your talking about the little nod on the receiver that locks the stock in place right? When you say wore do you mean cosmetically worn or the nob gets worn to the point that it does not hold the stock on properly?

The wobble on the stock may bother me lol as I like my stocks to be somewhat solid. I actually don't mind the gap between lower and upper receiver as long as it does not cause any issues.

Also forgot to ask how heavy is the Dboy's RDW? Is it heavy for its size or is it light? I find pot metal externals to be very heavy when compared to higher quality builds.

Thanks again for the details.
Old July 3rd, 2013, 03:00   #10
ccyg8774

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelcoof View Post
Your talking about the little nod on the receiver that locks the stock in place right? When you say wore do you mean cosmetically worn or the nob gets worn to the point that it does not hold the stock on properly?
It is just cosmetic worn in the finishing, the nob still holds the stock. But as the stock wobbling vertically, every time when I fold the stock I have to make sure that the nob is aligned to the hole on the stock, other wise it will not get in.

The stock wobbling is not that significant when the stock is extended and locked. But when it is half folded... As I said, the wobbling is big enough to effect the aligning to the nob. Maybe I can improve that a little bit if I try to shim the "hinge" of the stock, but I am just lazy.

Quote:
Also forgot to ask how heavy is the Dboy's RDW? Is it heavy for its size or is it light? I find pot metal externals to be very heavy when compared to higher quality builds.
I don't think it is heavy... It feels lighter than my full metal M4 (A good material M4. It probably should anyway, since it is much smaller than the M4...), very comfortable for me to handle, and I have poor upper-body strength.

A fully stock one will be slightly heavier, since I did some modifications to mine, include removing the "gas tubes", putting a lipo inside the handguard, and not using the external battery box. Don't think that made a big difference on weight. I just don't like the external battery box, especially on small guns.

Last edited by ccyg8774; July 3rd, 2013 at 03:10..
ccyg8774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2013, 08:53   #11
shelcoof

ccyg8774 Appreciate the details on the RDW.

The hinge thing may bother me during games when I will fold open and close the stock during games.

I'm not a big fan of the external PEQ box either and plan on using a stick lipo and mounting it on with a battery pouch on the RIS. I find this gives it more of a slim feel

Wish someone with the VFC version can chime in on their experience

Thanks again
Old July 3rd, 2013, 09:29   #12
ccyg8774

Quote:
ccyg8774 Appreciate the details on the RDW.

The hinge thing may bother me during games when I will fold open and close the stock during games.

I'm not a big fan of the external PEQ box either and plan on using a stick lipo and mounting it on with a battery pouch on the RIS. I find this gives it more of a slim feel

Wish someone with the VFC version can chime in on their experience

Thanks again
You are welcome.
There is a method allows to put a 1000mAh stick lipo inside the RIS, no PEQ, no battery pouch. But the battery will have to stay there, can't be changed easily. Same method works for both VFC and DBOY. I don't need to replace battery in game very much so that works for me, not sure about your playing style though.
Old July 4th, 2013, 08:39   #13
shelcoof

I saw that mod but I find it takes away from the look of the PDW. While gaming I don't care what my guns looks like as long as it functions well

But when not being gamed I like to show off my toys and make them look pretty lol
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion