Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Soft or Hard Rubber?

:

Doctor's Corner

Old January 31st, 2010, 14:59   #16
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
And, what distance are you shooting at that you find it really inaccurate? And just how accurate are you expecting it to be at said distance. Might be you are wanting way too much out of an airsoft gun.
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2010, 15:29   #17
Steven

Well, the hard really wouldn't work well....

Oh, hop-up rubbers?

SCS+ Soft
Old January 31st, 2010, 17:18   #18
Conflicts6

See, I am shooting a target at about 50 feet away. I say that is reasonable distance to have accurate shots. Also, the cold may be playing a factor. See, when I got my upgrade parts I tested the compression of the piston. When i put my finger on the air nozzle and pushed on the cylinder, it was hard to push the cylinder. So, in the cold (i am thinking) the seals on the piston are contracting, and my FPS won't be consistent, meaning my shots won't be consistent. It was about -20 outside.
Old January 31st, 2010, 17:29   #19
CDN_Stalker
Official ASC Bladesmith

Send a message via MSN to CDN_Stalker
Cold air is more dense, therefore you'd need less hop up. 0.25g outside, even at 50ft, won't do much for accuracy out of any gun. And there is the issue of cold affecting your hop up rubber, making it not work as good.
CDN_Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2010, 20:32   #20
Jonoats
Banned

I got an SCS and a soft hopup in the mail right now, should be here on Tuesday, I'll let you know how it works. The soft bucking you have now should be doing it for you though, try to make sure you have a nice dry clean barrel, and same for the hopup. Any silicone oil on both will screw around with your bb's.
Jonoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 12:05   #21
m102404
Tys

You could try a "hard" nub with a soft rubber as well. There's nothing that says you can't try mixing and matching (although a soft nub with a hard rubber probably doesn't do anything good).

Consistency in AEG's come from a couple of different sources (some of which you can control...others you can't so much):
1. Stance/aiming - if you're shooting from anything but a firmly supported solid stance...then take that into account when comparing accuracy. Shooting prone with some kind of soft support for the front end is probably the best you can do. (if you don't have a bipod, use a folded up towel over a brick/stack of books or something that's not tippy)

2. Target - you need a suitable aiming point, and the ability to actually see it accurately. If you have a big bright red-dot that glares at you or you can't pick out a very specific point with your iron sights...then don't expect the very best accuracy. Obviously an optically magnified optic is best for target shooting. Lighting is important as well...if you're shooting with iron sights, avoid having strong spots of light right above or behind you...the glare on the sights will be distracting.

3. Shot to shot velocity - you need a chronograph. Imagine a rifle where one shot is 200fps and then next is 400fps. No chance of any accuracy, right? Now imagine that the difference is smaller...say 15fps. Still has a huge impact and if you compound in other sighting/stance/aiming issues...you'll see large groups. If you can get it down to 1-2fps...call me, I've got a gun or two for you to work on.

4. BBs - weight, size, roundness, etc...will all affect things. I refuse to weight/measure individual bbs....so just buy quality brand ones and go for it. Try a different brand also. Try a slightly heavier weight (i.e. 0.28...or 0.30).

5. Conditions - if you go from hot to cold and back to hot....you might get condensation in your barrel...but that should get shot out in the first couple of shots. Your hopup rubber will be stiffer in the cold (not right away...but after you're out for a while). If you've got little breezes/gusts of wind, take that into account.

There's probably a bunch of other stuff...got to run though
m102404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 13:03   #22
The Chad
formerly LoveMyStubby

i hate rubbers.....hate cleanin them
If you were trying to insert a magazine into another magazine then I guess that would be indeed ghey. Inserting a magazine in a magwell seems rather hetero to me. The tape is merely metro, calling it ghey is rather absurd and makes it hard for the metro magazines to socialize with other magazines.
The Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 15:33   #23
venture

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyStubby View Post
i hate rubbers.....hate cleanin them
Never clean and reuse rubbers, that's how you get diseases!

......Anyway....sometimes a new hop-up rubber may have dirt or silicon oil on it. Don't expect it to be accurate until you have shot a couple of hicaps through it first. Then see what you have. If the rubber has silicon oil on it, this is a must.

Visit us at :www.ventureairsoft.ca
venture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2010, 15:36   #24
Conflicts6

Good points. I think my problem was a hard nu with a soft rubber. That may have screwed me over. I am borrowing a chrony from a friend so i could get some definite results.

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner