Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

Locking M4 to Semi

:

Doctor's Corner

Old November 2nd, 2009, 00:29   #1
BrokenBird
pɹıq spɹɐʍʞɔɐq

Question Locking M4 to Semi

I am converting my M4 (actually this is more a Mix of m4/m16) to a Recon gun, and now the FPS is at about 410 with a longer inner barrel that extend 5 inches into the silencer. However this still is an auto AEG and this PFS is not acceptable on most field.

I would like to permanently disable the auto fire mode (by permanent I mean until I decide to sell it) making it a single fire weapon, which would make it acceptable in a lot of fields.

Now I know this can be done, because I have seen a couple M14 like that. So how would I go about doing this.

Thanks
BrokenBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 01:13   #2
KND
* AV revoked *

There we go,

http://www.mechboxmechanic.com/

KND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 01:25   #3
Tex

another option is a trigger master unit from DonP. but the selector plate mod KND linked would work too.

_/|
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 06:16   #4
Drake
E-01

IMO DonP'd Trigger Master, as suggested by Tex, is a better solution: it'll improve your trigger response for one (which you'd want in a DM rifle) and it'll let you easily revert back to a normal gun by changing the spring and changing an option on the TM.

The MechboxMechanic method would work but i can see it being a potential pain in the ass at some point: V2 mechboxes are notorious for getting "stuck" in semi (you need to fire a shot in auto to get them to respond again). But modding your selector plate like that you lose the ability to "reset" (for lack of a better term) the disconnector and you'd pretty much have to take apart the mechbox to fix it. The Trigger Master still lets you physically go to the "auto" mode, it just cuts power to the motor after the first shot.

That being said, unless the gun is crazy accurate I'd try and lose the extra 10-15 fps you need to make it field legal instead. Part of the reason is not all fields/organizers here accept semi-only AEGs are sniper weapons, so you'd be stuck at the same FPS limit as other AEGs anyway. And secondly, that 10 FPS difference isn't going to make a difference. And a new spring is cheap (or cut a coil or two off our existing one).

So unless the gun is shooting amazingly well right now you may want to reconsider your options.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 10:47   #5
DarkAngel
* Age Verifier status suspended *

Send a message via MSN to DarkAngel
The idea behind the Higher fps for BA's is that You have to remove your finger off the trigger to take your second shot. This causes you to have to aim again decreasing the chances of bodily harm from accidents. The problem with AEG's is that someone can put 3-4 shots in the air before the first round hits the target. Your gun is still an AEG, regardless of what modifications you do both in definition and design, Therefore still requires that you are within the AEG Limit. Locking out your mechbox is a personal preference, not a way to bypass the field limits. If i wanted to, i could pull the trigger on a semi auto only AEG fast enough to imitate full auto. If you play on your own private field, do w/e you want, but on public fields, you need to follow the rules of the Game host.

AEG's in design will never be as accurate as a BA due to the design of AEG's, You wont be able to accurately hit people from that far of a distance anyways. Therefore you dont need that kind of FPS. If you want to shoot hot, go get a BA.

Certified Sniper Clinic Instructor and Counter Sniper
Sentinel Arms Customs - Specializing In Unique, One of a kind guns

Last edited by DarkAngel; November 2nd, 2009 at 10:53..
DarkAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 10:54   #6
BrokenBird
pɹıq spɹɐʍʞɔɐq

I understand what you are saying, but a lot of people are snipping with M14 clocked at 400+ FPS, isn't that the same thing?
Old November 2nd, 2009, 10:58   #7
ShelledPants

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAngel View Post
The idea behind the Higher fps for BA's is that You have to remove your finger off the trigger to take your second shot. This causes you to have to aim again decreasing the chances of bodily harm from accidents. The problem with AEG's is that someone can put 3-4 shots in the air before the first round hits the target. Your gun is still an AEG, regardless of what modifications you do both in definition and design, Therefore still requires that you are within the AEG Limit. Locking out your mechbox is a personal preference, not a way to bypass the field limits. If i wanted to, i could pull the trigger on a semi auto only AEG fast enough to imitate full auto. If you play on your own private field, do w/e you want, but on public fields, you need to follow the rules of the Game host.

AEG's in design will never be as accurate as a BA due to the design of AEG's, You wont be able to accurately hit people from that far of a distance anyways. Therefore you dont need that kind of FPS. If you want to shoot hot, go get a BA.

This is all moot as the ruleset from field to field changes. Many fields have exceptions for AEGs which can only fire semi. For example:

BA at <500,
Semi AEG at <450
Full AEG at <400

Not uncommon.

Ár skal r?*sa, sá er annars vill
fé eða fjör hafa. Sjaldan liggjandi úlfur
lær um getur né sofandi maður sigur.
ShelledPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 11:03   #8
BrokenBird
pɹıq spɹɐʍʞɔɐq

Ok, anyway, I would always ask in advance to the organizer if I could bring it to the field. DonP'd Trigger Master is very nice, especially the one with a 1 second delay in semi-auto, this would prevent fast triggering. Too bad it is out of stock.
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Doctor's Corner