Home Forums Register Gallery FAQ Calendar
Retailers Community News/Info International Retailers IRC Today's Posts

which one to choose: tanaka m700 a.i.c.s or ares aw.338 , users pls help

:

Airsoft Guns Discussion

Old December 4th, 2010, 00:46   #1
simohayha

which one to choose: tanaka m700 a.i.c.s or ares aw.338 , users pls help

Guys, im in the market for a new sniper rifle, in fact its my first sniper rifle. first of all i wanna tell u that im from indonesia, english is not my main language, so i hope thats explains any grammar/writing error,and no im not a 14 y/o noob.
sorry to write that, cause in some forum, ppl tend to bash/flame on a thread not written properly thinking thats its written by some kid asking dangerous things (like co2/ HPA, etc)

I have done some research for a few weeks and obviously tanaka m700 have a HUGEE fanbase. alot of ppl swear by its quality and accuracy.
but here's how i see things from my point of view (after research):

1) Build quality wise (finishing, material, realistic, overall looks): ares 10 points, tanaka 7 point

2) Upgradeability : ares 6 point, tanaka 10 point

3) performance : ares ??? (very mixed bag here) ; Tanaka 10 point (with TLC and expensive upgrades)

since i NEVER see both rifle firsthand, i cant tell how much better the ares build are VS tanaka, but from a lot of picture in the net, the ares wins hand down on looks category.

What i need is that i want a HOT (600++fps with 0,2) sniper, which im going to use with 0,3 bb minimum to play in a free no limit game (in which ALOT of AEG have 580-650 fps with 0,2, some even using 170 spring and latest systema A to Z) so i can at least compete with them. (1 shot at a time VS burst)

Accuracy is also very important offcourse, a good hop up and inner barrel upgrade is considered a priority.

im semi mechanically inclined soo a few home modification is acceptable, eventhough building a HPA rig would be a hassle since i have to import everything from abroad (none sold in indonesia).
i learn that ares have a c02 magazine that would make it fire too hot (700fps?) which i dont mind, but i also read that ares suffer gas leakage between the magazine and bolt? but since its CNC'ed from blocks of aluminum its suppose to handle abuse better than the tanaka's?

tanaka on the other hand have very little issue performing out of the box, but the stock hop up is lacking (easily remedied by KA hop up and VSR inner) and are made from pot metal? (die casted?) i also reads that the magazine doesnt handle green gas/ propane really well (warped due to higher pressure?), im planning to use only green gas or propane and maybe HPA.

one more thing, BOTH are VERY EXPENSIVE and hard to get here in indonesia, especially since airsoft activity is on the gray area of the law, and import is strictly prohibited. both will cost me around US$ 700 for the base rifle only. so an efficient upgrade route is also important (ares have less upgrade part which make it "cheaper" but can it have the performance of a tanaka, or at least close to it)

thanks
simohayha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2010, 01:01   #2
Kos-Mos

600FPS is an easy to get FPS using a spring-powered bolt action.

You can get the TM L96 (the new one) and upgrade it with a full PDI kit.
I had a rifle pushing 700FPS that was built from a spring rifle (APS-2 Type 96). The new TM is looking exactly like the AI AW 338 (You know, the AWP from Counter-Strike) and is the same rifle that is reproducted by both the A.I.C.S. and the ARES L96. Magasine location is the same and mags are metal.

From the look point of view, it is the most accurate spring L96 out there.
For performance, that rifle will get you a way better grouping than any gas rifle will ever.

You are looking at about 600$USD from HK retaillers, so if the rifles cost as much as they do here (gray zone also), the complete build would be around 900-1000$ (about the same as with a Tanaka or ARES)

Problem with gas rifles is that they lack consistency. That is exactly what you are looking for in a BA sniper rifle.
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2010, 03:41   #3
simohayha

whoa thanks kos-mos for fast reply, i consider the TM L96 before, but it seems from what im reading in forums, its going to be really hard to pull the bolt considering the spring needed to get that kind of fps. and im not that big/ strong LOL
Old December 4th, 2010, 04:08   #4
Kos-Mos

A LayLax 210% with a good compression group will net you about that FPS. It will be hard to pull, but not impossible. I am not a big guy either and I was able to pull it. After a full magazine, my arm was getting tired though.

But if you have to choose a gas rifle, go with the Tanaka. After the mods, it is a VERY good rifle, especially if you run it on an external air supply (CO2 or HPA). You need to have a low pressure regulator installed at your bottle, then run the line to the side of the magazine (with a 90deg QD joint). That will let you get in a decent range of FPS and the magasine chamber acts as an expansion chamber, so you get more stable FPS. HPA is not necessary as the pressure used is way lower than what is used in paintball, making the gain from CO2->HPA useless. You can easily run a macro line in your sling (4mm line) and have a QD connector at your magazine, with a cut valve on the line. It will let you either use a few different mags or reload one mag with a speed loader easier. You would also be able to still use propane or duster in the magazine for lower FPS games.

With the Tanaka running on an external air rig, you won't need a PCS equipped one, but you might want to do the nozzle mod to allow more gas to pass and require a lower pressure from the tank, since you can manually adjust the FPS from the regulator directly.
Kos-Mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2010, 08:05   #5
Sim123456

I had 671fps with a PDI ss5000 spring and a complete Laylax set-up in a Well 96 ^^ But you will get tired of coking after 10 shots :0
Sim123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2010, 09:11   #6
simohayha

soo far its 1 for tanaka and 0 for ares.
@Sim123456: yeah thats why i don't prefer spring, it's seems too much power/ work is needed for every shot. maybe im just too lazy
Old December 4th, 2010, 11:40   #7
Sim123456

You are not lazzy, it's just very hard to pull, I had to put the but stock on my chest and then pull the hardest I could to cocked it... and after 10 times my arm was soared and my chest too ^^
Sim123456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 05:49   #8
simohayha

Bumps, any other advice? aw338 or tanaka user?
Old December 7th, 2010, 13:51   #9
G_unit

Tanaka, can't go wrong with that if you can get your hands on one
G_unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2010, 19:45   #10
hattrick
NAAZ's #1 fan!

Send a message via MSN to hattrick
Tanaka hands down, ares has done nothing but disapoint in the performance devision.

-alex

maybe not from this .. and probably not today... but I assure you, you will die
hattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
ReplyTop

Go Back   Airsoft Canada > Discussion > Airsoft Guns Discussion